Many big games now have two release dates, and the earlier one will cost you

Julio Franco

Staff member
In context: What’s an extra day of playing a hot new game early worth to you? What’s the worth of two days? It’s become more and more common for video game publishers to charge players for the chance to play games early. Or maybe they’re just sticking everyone else who pays a meager $60 with a later release date. This practice has gone from rare to common this season. Here’s what’s being offered.

The new Tomb Raider sells for $60 and theoretically came out on Friday the 14th, but people who bought $70 or $90 special editions could play it two days early.

NBA 2K19 sells for $60 and had a release date of September 11, unless you paid $100. Then you could play it four days early.

The special editions of Tomb Raider and NBA 2K both offered more than early access, but that was a major drawing card. You could argue that Tomb Raider was putting the price of about $5 a day on playing early, NBA 2K putting it closer to $10.

It’s not just them.

If you pre-order any of the various special versions of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey that cost $100 or more you will be able to play the game three early. You can play Hitman 2 four days early if you pre-order the Gold Edition of the game for $100. The lone major Xbox One exclusive for the fall, Forza Horizon 4, gives four day early access for its $100 ultimate edition. Battlefield V will also let you play three days early if you pre-order the $80 Deluxe edition.

Battlefield comes from EA, which has been doing the play-early thing for a while. The company’s EA Access subscription service has offered early access to its games as a selling point, though that early access has usually been limited to a set number of hours of play time. They also will just let people pay more to play the whole thing early. FIFA 19, Madden 19 and NHL 19 offer early access if you pre-order the more expensive editions, starting at $80 for all games.

Some of this has happened before. Last year’s FIFA 18 and NHL 18 games, for example, had Play Early deals, too.

MMOs have been offering early access to games for years. If you pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 in 2012, you’d get the game three days earlier than other players. If you pre-ordered The Elder Scrolls Online in 2015, you’d get the game five days early. Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood also offered the game five days earlier if you pre-ordered.

Not every big game this season is letting people pay more to play early. We’re unaware of such deals for Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2, for example. Fallout 76 doesn’t seem to have one but it does have a beta in October, the month before its official release.

None of the major upcoming games from Nintendo will be available early if you pre-order, though the standalone Xenoblade Chronicles 2 expansion, Torna, is currently available only for people who bought the season pass for that game. It’s exclusive to those people for one week before everyone else can buy it.

Although there are a handful of big releases that aren’t going to let you play early, many upcoming games effectively have two release dates. There’s the release date for people who only want to pay $60, and an earlier release date for people who are willing to pay more, or pay early. These publishers and developers are banking on your impatience to persuade you to give them, sometimes, an additional $40.

Permalink to story.

For single player games I think this is fine. If you're that desperate and have the money, why not? It's a bit dumb to me, but who am I to tell anyone what they can do with their money?

For multiplayer games, particularly with any that have progression or upgrades, it's a bit more of a grey area as it's edging towards pay-to-win. Get a few levels under your belt and some better gear, and be able to stomp *actual* Day 1 people coming into the game.

Either way, I'd rather see this than in-game purchases.

Meh. They're video games, they're not going anywhere. You want to spend twice as much for 3 more days of playtime, go ahead. But I wouldnt waste my money on something like that.

Becoming worth less and less, I can tell you that!

And another thing!
I sure as hell don't get this whole skin and fancy looks thing. Sure, it's nice feature... but to pay extra just for that? New generation of gamers is ruining it! XD (oh yea that means I'm old now lol)

And another thing!
I sure as hell don't get this whole skin and fancy looks thing. Sure, it's nice feature... but to pay extra just for that? New generation of gamers is ruining it! XD (oh yea that means I'm old now lol)

I feel Old too, but I started playing a Free game (Brawlhalla) and I did happily pay for skins... Many skins, BUT as today I have 826 hours into the game.

Last edited:
This actually puts me off in a big way, even if it's a really expected title I won't bite and it may even lead me to not get it at all.

If I read "get the X items with your pre-purchase" or pay for the "deluxe version that comes with exclusive..." and it's online, I pre-ban it in my library :)

And another thing!
Skins are a way to give revenue to F2P games without adding in P2Win.

Holding off a release date to purposely squeeze a little extra cash out of your customer is shady.

And then there's me, I wait for the sale before I buy ;-) But if I had the money, I'd still wait. I can't justify paying that kind of money for a video game--unless it comes with a giant statue or something I can actually touch

I'm a sucker for collectibles, so I pre-ordered the Assassin’s Creed Odyssey Spartan edition to get the cool figurine. It had better be cool for $170!

But I could care less about the 3-day early play. I would never pay extra money for that alone.

This seems to be either a new outlet for publisher to cash in on extra income after the lootbox debacle or a new scapegoat to steer attention away from lootboxes. Sadly, people will latch onto something and suffer from tunnel vision while another problem sneaks its way in/back in. I know this is not really new but as trends follow, once some get away with it, everyone else will try to do the same and that seems to be the case this year.

I see it the other way. They want to squeeze more out of the gamers with addictions? They want normal people (not game addiction) to wait a few days? That few days will give the rest of us time to know if the game is descent and help avoid us buying it. Easier on our wallets. Thanks.

This is basically like the gamers that wait until everything goes in the bargain bin - except this is an accelerated rate.

"These publishers and developers are banking on your impatience to persuade you to give them, sometimes, an additional $40."

Then they're going to be sorely disappointed. If anything, patronising "tiered pre-order" begging gimmicks combined with the 6-18 months it typically takes to patch out the huge amount of bugs, are more likely to convince me to just wait for the GOTY at half the price. Assuming it's even worth playing given "must have" over-hype and AAA "quality" rarely go hand in hand anymore...

"These publishers and developers are banking on your impatience to persuade you to give them, sometimes, an additional $40."

Then they're going to be sorely disappointed. If anything, patronising "tiered pre-order" begging gimmicks combined with the 6-18 months it typically takes to patch out the huge amount of bugs, are more likely to convince me to just wait for the GOTY at half the price. Assuming it's even worth playing given "must have" over-hype and AAA "quality" rarely go hand in hand anymore...

GOTY or no thanks, indeed.

And then there's me, I wait for the sale before I buy ;-) But if I had the money, I'd still wait. I can't justify paying that kind of money for a video game--unless it comes with a giant statue or something I can actually touch
I'm with you. If I can't buy three games for $60, I don't see the value.

It isn't true for all games that have 2 dates. I will be playing Forza a week early, but I didn't pay for that. I paid for 2 DLC which will allow me to have more play time.

Contrary to other commenters on here I think this is good for multiplayer games as it means the servers won’t get hit quite so hard on day 1. Sure it might give the most die hard of fans an extra couple of days to level up or whatever but if you cared that much about 2 days progress in a game you would probably cough up for the premium.

Personally I won’t pay the premium, I like to give a title a week or two at least, see some let’s plays, some reviews, wait for the first round of patches to come out before buying. I don’t find much logic to waiting for a game to come out on sale, the best games can take months or even years to hit significantly cheaper prices.

And I definitely prefer all this to waiting in line at my local games retailer at midnight to pick up a hard copy of my favourite game. Something I haven’t done since last decade at this point. Do console gamers even still do this?

I like PC games. Just don't buy any new ones or old ones, maybe I will again but I can't see it.

Game prices are shocking considering you can get free games with great playability, I for one refuse to pay these daft prices, probably why fortnite is so popular.

As one who did play destiny1/2 from time to time has bought season packs, dlc etc.. along with few friends due to rising and constant dlc packs at silly prices now all have lost interest poor show from developers looking to line their pockets...

Down with pre order, down with dlc and down with pay to win..... fine with store for cosmetic stuff plenty of tools out there willing spend small fortune on a hat.

Games used to be released on tuesdays, now they are being pushed back to friday, so if anything, you are getting the game "later", not earlier.

I pre-ordered ACOdyssey Gold, so I get it on the Tuesday, which is fine, however it played zero factor in me pre-ordering the game. If AC Origins had sucked, I wouldn't have pre-ordered.

I only got the Season Pass because I found the Season Pass for Odyssey to be good, plus I like the AC3 pack in that will eventually come with owning the Season Pass.

So it depends.

I never buy anything on release day anyway, I dont care. Those pay to play people are suckers IMO.

Also think these games are becoming forma of gambling.

Publishers need to make money somehow since we stood up to them in regards to P2W practices, lootboxes and DLC splitting communities.

Let the little bosstids play the game a few days early I say.

Back