TechSpot

Many retailers begin taking Xbox One and PlayStation 4 preorders

By Dave LeClair
Jun 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft and Sony finally made the last details for the Xbox One and PS4 official, and just as quickly as the two could reveal pricing information for the upcoming hardware, many retailers jumped on the preorder bandwagon. 

Read more
  2. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 528   +146

This will be interesting. I expect the XB1 to do decent in the family/media market, but the PS4 to do best in the gaming market.
    Unless MS announces some favorable policies concerning games (like having the disc in console will bypass the check-in, or digital downloads don't need check-in), then they will go downhill quick (well, at least for gaming consumers).
  3. T. Martin

T. Martin TS Rookie

Gamestop IS taking pre-orders for the $399 non bundled unit. Pre-ordered 1 in store and 1 online.
  4. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +77

I'm sure mod chip makers are also taking pre orders.. the DRM issue will be a winfall for them.
  5. Kevin82485

Kevin82485 TS Member Posts: 47   +9

I pre-ordered a PS4 and 3 games earlier for $580 all tax free on Amazon. Can't wait.
  6. likedamaster

likedamaster TS Member Posts: 83   +12

Mind elaborating on your point? I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean.
  7. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 614   +81

Pretty academic to me as I won't be getting either console. Even if I had the cash it would go on a PC.
  8. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

Xbox has some pretty restrictive DRM. People will wanna get around this. Mod chips allow you to get around restrictions. Therefore, the mod chip market (if they come up with one) will be blooming.
  9. I'm predicting the XB1 will fall on its face. I have always been an xbox guy, and thought I always would be, but due to connection requirements and the preowned game restrictions I've preordered the PS4 instead.
  10. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

After all the revelations, if I was going to buy into the next generation of consoles it would be PS4.
  11. I don't think people are stupid enough to risk paying $500, mod it, and have Microsoft ban their console from Xbox Live. We have to remember there is no longer offline play on Xbox One. What happens is that after the mods, the console will be just an overpriced media player.

12. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +77

I can see a modchip and a LAN device or USB key being the solution.
    why not? I did it to my PS1 and PS2 and at the time they worth a similar amount. As well the people that would want to do this, would KNOW the risks up front.. or in the case of this article's context; have no choice but to mod if they wanted to play a game..

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.