Many retailers begin taking Xbox One and PlayStation 4 preorders

Dave LeClair

tons xbox ps4 buy e3 pre-order xbox one

Microsoft and Sony finally made the last details for the Xbox One and PS4 official, and just as quickly as the two could reveal pricing information for the upcoming hardware, many retailers jumped on the preorder bandwagon. 

Microsoft was first to announce pricing details at its early morning press conference yesterday. Although much of the video game community was not thrilled with the $499 price tag, retailers were ready to jump at the chance to lock in orders, including GameStop, Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Microsoft's Online Store, and plenty of local retailers. GameStop in particular is only offering the console in a bundle with a game. These bundles do not offer any kind of discount, as the hardware retails for $499, the games sell for $60, and the bundles sell for $560. 

Each of the retailers taking orders for the Xbox One is selling the Day One Edition. This includes a limited edition controller, a special Day One achievement, premium packaging and a decal. It also comes with exclusive DLC for Ryse: Son of Rome, Forza Motorsport 5, Kinect Sports Rivals and Dead Rising 3. 

For the PS4, GameStop, Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart are also taking preorders. Of course, Sony got a leg up in the battle when it announced a $399 price tag, but time will tell how buyers actually respond to the pricing differences (and other gripes with the Xbox One). GameStop is offering a number of bundles for the system that include one of the launch titles for the system. In fact, just as with the Xbox One, it appears as though the retailer is not selling the console by itself, at least not according to its PS4 page.

Permalink to story.

This will be interesting. I expect the XB1 to do decent in the family/media market, but the PS4 to do best in the gaming market.
Unless MS announces some favorable policies concerning games (like having the disc in console will bypass the check-in, or digital downloads don't need check-in), then they will go downhill quick (well, at least for gaming consumers).

I'm sure mod chip makers are also taking pre orders.. the DRM issue will be a winfall for them.

Pretty academic to me as I won't be getting either console. Even if I had the cash it would go on a PC.

I'm sure mod chip makers are also taking pre orders.. the DRM issue will be a winfall for them.

Mind elaborating on your point? I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean.
Xbox has some pretty restrictive DRM. People will wanna get around this. Mod chips allow you to get around restrictions. Therefore, the mod chip market (if they come up with one) will be blooming.

I'm predicting the XB1 will fall on its face. I have always been an xbox guy, and thought I always would be, but due to connection requirements and the preowned game restrictions I've preordered the PS4 instead.

After all the revelations, if I was going to buy into the next generation of consoles it would be PS4.

St1ckM4n said:

Mind elaborating on your point? I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean.

Xbox has some pretty restrictive DRM. People will wanna get around this. Mod chips allow you to get around restrictions. Therefore, the mod chip market (if they come up with one) will be blooming.

I don't think people are stupid enough to risk paying $500, mod it, and have Microsoft ban their console from Xbox Live. We have to remember there is no longer offline play on Xbox One. What happens is that after the mods, the console will be just an overpriced media player.

I can see a modchip and a LAN device or USB key being the solution.
why not? I did it to my PS1 and PS2 and at the time they worth a similar amount. As well the people that would want to do this, would KNOW the risks up front.. or in the case of this article's context; have no choice but to mod if they wanted to play a game..
I don't think people are stupid enough to risk paying $500, mod it, and have Microsoft ban their console from Xbox Live. We have to remember there is no longer offline play on Xbox One. What happens is that after the mods, the console will be just an overpriced media player.

Back