Mark Zuckerberg explains why Messenger is a standalone app

By Scorpus
Nov 7, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. One of the questions that has puzzled many Facebook users is why the company decided to split out the messaging component into a separate, standalone app. At a live Q&A session, Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg finally revealed why the choice was...

Read more
  2. He can try to quantify the reasoning behind having the individual app, but it is still all bull. This is merely a stepping stone in being able to monetize another component of the service by providing another avenue for them to generate ad revenue once they figure it out. I personally find it to be a real pain in the arse to have to have 3 apps on my mobile to use the service now (FB, Pages, and Messenger). I actually refuse to do this and just use a standalone "universal" app for FB, Google, Yahoo, etc. It also has the security issues as well as the battery drain problem when enabled. This is NOT an elegant solution and IS painful...and he apparently gave insight into a bigger picture scenario by saying "Although having to install an extra app to access Facebook messaging is "a short term painful thing", to properly serve users the company had to create a "dedicated and focused experience"."
  3. Or you could have made a setting to select what part of the app you defaulted to "Feed", "Pages", "Messages". Then I wouldn't need 3 apps to effectively manage those areas.
  4. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

What's more impressive to investors and corporate suits:

1: "We're the top app on all platforms"

2: "We have the top N apps on all platforms".

I fully expect more fragmentation of their suite in the coming years.
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,462   +1,760

What's Facebook?:confused: