Marriott agrees to pay $600,000 fine for blocking personal Wi-Fi hotspot

Shawn Knight

Staff member

marriott fcc wi-fi federal communications commission hotel

The Marriott hotel chain has agreed to pay a fine of $600,000 following an investigation by the Federal Communications Commission into claims that a hotel guest had their personal Wi-Fi hotspot blocked during an event at one of Marriott's hotel and conference centers last year.

As outlined in a nine-page order on the matter, a guest visiting the company’s Gaylord Opryland hotel in Nashville complained that the hotel was jamming personal hotspots in its convention space. The hotel ultimately fessed up to the matter, saying one or more of its employees used containment features to block customers’ mobile hotspots.

As Ars Technica points out, the particular hotel in question offers dedicated wireless services to guests for convention purposes. Pricing ranges anywhere from $250 up to $1,000 per access point – or in other words, it’s not cheap.

marriott fcc wi-fi federal communications commission hotel

Additionally, the network also includes the ability to shut down any other Wi-Fi network that isn’t its own. It’s a feature typically used in government or corporate environments to help prevent data leaks.

In a statement sent to Ars, Marriott spokesperson Jeff Flaherty seems to defend the company’s practice. He said Marriott has a strong interest in ensuring that when guests use their Wi-Fi service, they will be protected from rogue wireless hotspots that can cause degraded service, insidious cyber attacks and identity theft.

He added that the Gaylord Opryland hotel in question protected its Wi-Fi network by using FCC-authorized equipment provided by well-known, reputable manufacturers. What’s more, he said they believe their actions were lawful.

It’s clear that Marriott, rightfully or not, is playing the safety angle versus what most would see as them blocking personal hotspots for financial gain. 

Do you believe Marriott had the right to jam personal hotspots? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

This practice is purely about profits, not protection. Otherwise, they would offer free wi-fi for guests and conference attendees.

This practice is purely about profits, not protection. Otherwise, they would offer free wi-fi for guests and conference attendees.
Have to agree as every hotel I have attended a conference or training course has offered free wifi. In most cases it is pretty fast.

Quote: "He said Marriott has a strong interest in ensuring that when guests use their Wi-Fi service, they will be protected from rogue wireless hotspots that can cause degraded service, insidious cyber attacks and identity theft."

So they want to be an ISP? lol

Quote: "He said Marriott has a strong interest in ensuring that when guests use their Wi-Fi service, they will be protected from rogue wireless hotspots that can cause degraded service, insidious cyber attacks and identity theft."

So they want to be an ISP? lol

lol yep.

sounds to me like they are trying to be a nice target for a dos attack.

which will happen after the class action lawsuit.

So it's a "right" to be able to broadcast your own hotspot now? sure they might have been punks for doing this, but those safety concerns are legitimate. They should just let their terms be known, and if the customer doesn't like it, they can go somewhere else. It's really that simple.
either way though, 600k? that's retarded. "yes, I think you being unable to share your connection with others for a few hrs is worth a sum beyond what some earn in a lifetime..."

So it's a "right" to be able to broadcast your own hotspot now? sure they might have been punks for doing this, but those safety concerns are legitimate. They should just let their terms be known, and if the customer doesn't like it, they can go somewhere else. It's really that simple.
either way though, 600k? that's retarded. "yes, I think you being unable to share your connection with others for a few hrs is worth a sum beyond what some earn in a lifetime..."

You forgot the part where the offended party doesn't get a single cent of this money. It all goes to the govt. The 'penalty' for this action, should have been a harshly worded letter from the FCC saying they can't block hotspots, and that's it. After the 2nd or 3rd offense they get a small fine. This is like those stories of people getting fined $10,000 for downloading a pirated song.

And no, we don't need hotels looking out for our wi-fi safety. They should give you a card with login and pricing info when you check in and that's the end of it. If a customer logs into a network called 'Marriott' that doesn't require credentials and it turns out to be a dude in the parking lot going after rich folks devices, then that's the customer's fault.

What's next? we block hotspots at malls, airports, stores, sporting events, etc?

I think the Marriott screwed up and the FCC stuck to them good and hard because they could.

It is illeagle in the U. S. to block any kind of radio transmission, including wifi hotspots, so yes, in a way, it is a right a right to have a hotspot as far as anyone blocking it is concerned. It doesn't make any difference why the hotspot was blocked it was an illeagle act. I believe the fine was justified and reasonable.

It is illeagle in the U. S. to block any kind of radio transmission, including wifi hotspots, so yes, in a way, it is a right a right to have a hotspot as far as anyone blocking it is concerned. It doesn't make any difference why the hotspot was blocked it was an illeagle act. I believe the fine was justified and reasonable.

Being a faux animal rights activist, I have to agree about these things being "illeagle." Birds of prey need to be able to communicate with the tower. That's just the way it is.

So I set up computers and networks for conferences and this is actually a growing practice. A company called Smart City which is the largest network provider in most major convention centers does this all over the country. It is nothing new unfortunately, I have had to deal with it for years during setups. They do make it known that you are not allowed to setup your own wireless networks though They do not however mention that they block them, at least not anywhere I have read. It would be hard to charge $125 a day for basic wireless if you could just bring in hotspots. They also claim it is to not allow for network degradation to their paying clients.

Yeah.... unless they offered the Wifi for free AND had a warning about offending Wifi signals being jammed, then this was all about the money (no surprise)

Marriott agrees to pay $600,000 fine for blocking personal Wi-Fi hotspot

so nice of them to agree to pay the fine , ;)

Any hotel should have the right to do as they wish on their own property, I don't see why anyone should have the right to host a hotspot beyond public or personal property, in other words, if your on private property the owner of said property should have the ability to block any foreign signals. If for any reason you don't feel comfortable with these practices you have the right to go elsewhere. Why do people believe it's their god given right to do whatever they please with technology when clearly they shouldn't. I'm not standing up for Marriott's Internet fees, just I don't believe fining them for something they should have full control over is right, especially when it goes to the government and nothing further comes of this. Just put a clause in the TOS saying that personal hotspots are not permitted on the premises and all unauthorized signals will be blocked. How exactly one uses FCC-authorized equipment illegally makes no sense either come to think of it.

Back