Marvell unveils Plug Computer 3.0 with Wi-Fi, hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Marvell has officially revealed the Plug Computer 3.0, an ultra-small, always-on, always-connected system capable of handling basic computing tasks. Powered by the 2GHz Marvell Armada 300 processor, the Plug Computer 3.0 features embedded Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a storage drive, and is compatible with multiple Linux 2.6 kernel distributions.

Targeted markets and uses include home automation, medical monitoring, multimedia content sharing, security and access control, industrial automation, agricultural, as well as mesh and grid computing. For instance, the system could be used for remote management of lights, thermostat and irrigation systems, or simply to stream music and videos.

As indicated by its name, the Plug Computer 3.0 is designed to plug directly into a standard wall socket, and reportedly consumes one tenth of the power of a typical home server. Neither a price or ship date have been provided, but it's worth noting that the original SheevaPlug sold for $99.

Permalink to story.

Very nice, an upgraded SheevaPlug... I was thinking about a SheevaPlug to use as a dedicated Ventrilo chat client, using a USB headset and StealthSwitch II for the push-to-talk function. This looks like it would be a little more robust, and I could use one of my old Bluetooth headsets. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Wonder if it could be used as a dedicated always-on Skype client?

Vrmithrax said:
Very nice, an upgraded SheevaPlug... I was thinking about a SheevaPlug to use as a dedicated Ventrilo chat client, using a USB headset and StealthSwitch II for the push-to-talk function. This looks like it would be a little more robust, and I could use one of my old Bluetooth headsets. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Wonder if it could be used as a dedicated always-on Skype client?

THAT was the FIRST thought that came to my head was to use this for skype, would have multimedia on there too for streaming but that would be PERFECT for skype.

its important that its a floating point cpu or not because without transcoding is impossible and scaling pictures is very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back