Mass storage being recognized as camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledgus

I have a 2GB phillips MP3 player, and I've been having problems recently using it on windows XP. When I plug it in, windows keeps recognising it as a digital camera! Here's the twist, when my friend plugged it into his machine (Windows Vista) it worked fine, but when I tried it on another friends computer with windows XP also, BAM! It was recognised as a digital camera again. I haven't always had this problem, it's only been recently.

I have already tried:

- plugging it into a different USB slot
- Re-installing the drivers
- Removing the drivers (physically aswell as by software)
- powering off and on again
- restoring factory settings on the device

Anyone got any idea??

..."when my friend plugged it into his machine (Windows Vista) it worked fine, but when I tried it on another friends computer with windows XP also, BAM!"...

"I have already tried:

- restoring factory settings on the device"...

You have tried all that can be done. These are your own words. What more do you think we can tell you?

I was hoping someone may known or seen something that I might have missed. Telling me to upgrade to vista or replace my MP3 player is not helping.

When a Plug and Play device is connected to a USB port, Windows queries it to find some IDs (returned as strings) which were assigned to the device by its manufacturer and burned into the device when it was built. The ids (in particular the device_id) are how Windows goes about selecting the best driver for the device.

I would 1) verify the device_id it's sending to Windows and 2) look at the set of drivers Windows selects as candidates for that device_id and which one it chooses as the "best" driver of its choices. My guess is that device id is correct (and it it reports the same id to both XP and Vista) but its the driver that's selected that's different. On XP, it's selecting a driver which must also be used by a camera or the whoever provided the driver happens to have assigned a misleading (i.e. wrong) string as the driver description (which is defined within the driver, itself). The following instructions are for XP. Not certain if also true (or somewhat different) for Vista

Find the Device Id
To see the device_id you must first set an option to show Details in Device Manager
  1. If Device Manager happens to be open, close it along with all device property sheets.
  2. Select Control Panel / System / Advanced / Environment Variables / System variables / New.
  3. Set the environment variable name to DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS and its value to 1. Be sure to enter the variable name exactly as i indicated (including the under_scores)
Now, find the device in Device Manager and right click for Properties. You'll now see a Details tab! Click it and you should see a pull down list which is probably already showing Device Instance Id and it displays a string which looks something like: USB\VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy where xxxx is the vendor id (a number managed by the USB.org which uniquely identifies the device vendor) and yyyy is the product id (a number controlled and assigned by the vendor to identify their device). The remainder of the device_id string is version information and possibly other stuff too but the detail of which i don't recall off hand.

See the list of drivers Windows evaluated for the device. And which one it picked
Download devcon. It's a command line utility. (Store devcon.exe in C:\Windows\system32 unless you understand the PATH variable in which case you can put it anywhere!)

Now from a command window (Start->Run, enter cmd, hit ENTER) type
devcon drivernodes USB\VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy
(just type that first part of the device id string you found, where xxxx and yyyy are the actual numbers you saw). Devcon lists all the drivers it found as candidates. It also lists the driver rank it assigned each candidate in determining which one is best. (As i recall, the higher the rank the better the fit. Who ever supplied the final choice for use as the driver, indicated a description of camera! You should see the driver description as well in the devcon output.

You sir, are a friggen legend!!! now YOU are a TRUE techspot helper! Genius! can't thank you enough

aww.... geeee.. shucks... just doing what i can..... :blush:

Hoped that mihgt shed some light. and keep ya busy learning some new things if you followed it all through!

hmmm bad news, It says 'no matching devices found. The system cannot find the specified path' (after I run that script)... sigh.. any ideas?

sledgus said:
hmmm bad news, It says 'no matching devices found. The system cannot find the specified path' (after I run that script)... sigh.. any ideas?

"..."when my friend plugged it into his machine (Windows Vista) it worked fine, but when I tried it on another friends computer with windows XP also, BAM!"...

"I have already tried:

- restoring factory settings on the device"...

You have tried all that can be done. These are your own words. What more do you think we can tell you?...

Oooops! details... details.....

A USB device id string has the & symbol in it so you must surround it with """. A correct example devcon drivernodes "USB\VID_413C&PID_0058"

why don't you tell us the device_id string you saw using the instructions i gave you above.

And here's a story for you.....
When i bought a bluetooth dongle for my XP laptop couple years ago, I installed the Widcomm bluetooth (BT) drivers which were the perfect match for the dongle (a much better match then Microsoft's BT drivers that had been released with XP SP2 because at the time that first release of BT drivers by MS was crap. But to my surprise and aggravation and it seemed no matter what i did, to disable MS and try an make sure Widcomm was chosen, Microsoft ALWAYS selected its own drivers and ignored the Widcomm drivers!

Figuring that problem out is how it came to be that i learned about device driver tools, USB device ids, etc. IN THE END, IT TURNED OUT: Microsoft adds heavy weight when calculating a driver's rank if the driver is signed (vs. unsigned). Of course, the Microsoft drivers were signed (even tho they didn't work well) vs. the Widcomm drivers which weren't signed but were provided by the manufacturer and as well as other sources. You gotta know the right process to keep a specific driver method out of the evaluation process. (i'll spare you the detail unless we find you gotta know).

So, it's possible the driver you keep installing is unsigned (like my Widcomm driver was) and Microsoft keeps selecting a signed driver that's a "close" match over an unsigned driver that's a perfect match (as was my case years back). btw.. the driver that keeps getting picked... is it a MS driver? (just curious)

Hey I tried devcon, I managed to find 2 drivers in the prompt. One was the digital camera driver, the other was an MTP device driver. I tried installing the MTP device driver SPECIFICALLY but it STILL friggen recognises it as a digital camera :(

May help if you go to the manufacturer site of your Mp3 player and see if they have any available software drivers or if others with the same Model as your Mp3 player have had the same problem.

What is the model of your Mp3 Player?

http://www.support.philips.com/support/html/index_us_en.html#../~scripts/xsltransform.asp?url=http://www.sms.philips.com/catalogue/list?sid=SMS||type=CONSUMER||locale=us_en||mode=subcats||item=MP3_PLAYERS_CA&xsl=prodcatalog.xsl

Another question, did you ever, or do you possess a digital camera and does it currently have drivers installed? Some software usually comes packed with a load of stuff you really do not need *coughitunes* so it is good to double check all of the current drivers you are running.

Hey. yeah already tried downloading software from the site. The MP3 player doesnt actually have any official drivers, it only comes bundled with software to update the firmware (which I cant do as the device keeps being recognised as a camera) and Phillips own rip off of iTunes. Pretty gay hey :(

And no I havent put a digital camera on this machine before, It's a fresh Windows XP install too :(

Hey! saw your recent reply. Been awhile!

Still sounds pretty much the same type problem as i had in my case 2 - 3 years back with Windows device selection.

Could you copy/paste some info from devcon into this thread?

- What are the device drivers ("drivernodes") devcon reports as the candidates?
- What's the device id you told it to use to find the nodes?

As to what's happening.....

From what you're stating, devcon must be showing you two driver nodes for the device id you gave it.
  • Each "driver node" is a possible driver it can use for your device.
  • Since you said it shows two drivers, i'm guessing you see descriptions for a node #0 and a node #1. Each node's description should include the driver node rank (as calculated by Windows)
    • Rank is a numeric value indicating how good a choice Windows thinkgs a driver node is for a driver id.
    • Windows applies several criteria in calculating a node's "rank" including whether or not the driver has been digitally signed (if yes, gives it a big advantage)
    • As i recall it off the top of my head, the higher the number, the better the rank. So given multiple-choices Windows ALWAYS picks the node with the best rank!
Many ways to TRY and get WINDOWS to pick what you want (rather than what it wants) most of which don't work (as i think you're discovering). Show me the device node info and will tell what i believe you need to do

Hey lookinaround, Sorry just checked the forums then. It's nearly midnight here in australia, i'll do all the things that you asked tomorrow and ill post them here. Thanks heaps for your help, hopefully we can tackle this problem hey? :)

hey, no problem. I was guessing from the times of each of our posts we were half-way-around-the-world from each other! And i'm anxious myself to see if my hunch might be the solution to your problem!!

btw... if it's any easier, note devcon also accepts a "wild card character". So, if you're not 100% sure about, for example, a USB device id just do this (i think it should also give you the info needed to post back)
  1. Make sure the USB device you're interested in is plugged in and recognized (i.e. Windows knows a USB device is plugged in. We know it won't pick the right driver)
  2. Enter devcon drivernodes usb\*
    Devcon returns driver node info for ALL recognized USB devices.
  3. Maybe still easier, if you enter devcon drivernodes usb\* > a.txt
    All devcon output is saved in text file a.txt. Just make sure the device in question is among the USB devices listed and you can simply attach the text file to your post. Use the paper clip icon you see when doing an "advanced" vs simple post.
Finally, looking at the driver node output on my own computer, i guessed wrong in my last post about "best" drivernode rank cuz when i look at:
USB\VID_03F0&PID_4C11&MI_02\7&C8B9BCA&1&0002
....Name: HP PSC 1500 series (DOT4USB)
DriverNode #0:
....Inf file is c:\windows\inf\oem36.inf
....Inf section is D4Usb_Inst
....Driver description is HP PSC 1500 series (DOT4USB)
....Manufacturer name is Hewlett-Packard
....Provider name is Hewlett-Packard
....Driver date is 9/28/2004
....Driver version is 9.0.0.0
....Driver node rank is 1
....Driver node flags are 00002244
........Inf is digitally signed​

I see it's digitally signed AND Windows assigned it a driver node rank equal 1. So, if multiple driver nodes are presented for a device, it is the smallest numerical value assigned rank that Windows believes is best match. (And i'll bet the driver you don't want installed has the smaller numerical rank of the two nodes displayed for your device)

Ok here is the info

Sorry for late reply. I did what you said, and here is what I got:

C:\Documents and Settings\James>devcon drivernodes "USB\VID_0471&PID_014D
USB\VID_0471&PID_014D\DC48CE249C90
Name: Philips
DriverNode #0:
Inf file is c:\windows\inf\wpdmtp.inf
Inf section is MTP
Driver description is MTP Device
Manufacturer name is (Standard MTP-compliant devices)
Provider name is Microsoft
Driver date is 2/22/2006
Driver version is 5.2.5326.4762
Driver node rank is 40960
Driver node flags are 00000240
DriverNode #1:
Inf file is c:\windows\inf\ptpusb.inf
Inf section is PTP
Driver description is Digital Still Camera
Manufacturer name is Generic
Provider name is Microsoft
Driver date is 7/1/2001
Driver version is 5.1.2600.0
Driver node rank is 8193
Driver node flags are 00002244
Inf is digitally signed
1 matching device(s) found.

So what should I do now?

Uninstall the camera driver Windows had picked You should be able to see the camera driver listed in Device Manager when the MP3 is connected.
  • Select the camera driver, then right click and select uninstall.
  • As soon as it’s uninstalled, DISCONNECT THE MP3 player

Disable the camera's Driver Setup Install File
This step is how we prevent XP from selecting the camera driver again
If you look at the device node info for the camera driver, it tells you the Driver Setup Install location and filename: Inf file is c:\windows\inf\ptpusb.inf. Rename the setup install file to something else, like ptpusb.bak.

Now try reinstalling your MP3 and tell me what happens!

just an fyi, in the future if you want to see a driver in Device Manager even when its device is not connected
  • Close Device Manager if open.
  • Right click My Computer. Then click Advanced -> Environment Variable
  • Create a new system variable (they’re the ones listed in the lower of the 2 windows ).
  • Click New. For variable name, enter DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES
  • For variable value, enter 1. Click OK
  • Start Device Manager and click Show hidden devices on the View menu. Drivers for devices not connected are "ghosted", i.e. their icon is more transparent.

Lookingaround You Are A Champion

I just tried your suggestion and it worked! I plugged the MP3 player back in and instead of recognising it as a camera/scanner it picked it up as a MTP device, and it is working 110% right now!

You, sir, are an absolute champion! People like you on these free forums are worth your weight in gold! Thanks again man, kudos to you :)

Glad to hear it works AND glad to help:D

/****** Edit *********/
And glad to disprove all the nay-sayers :p

I just knew it was the same damn "Windows bug, I mean, feature that drove me crazy when Bluetooth first came out in XP SP2 till I finally found this solution!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back