Matsushita DVD-ROM SR-8587 problems

By kimbles
May 14, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone,:wave:

Please can you help me. My DVD drive no longer recognises anything I put into it. I don't seem to have the driver on any of the discs that came with my machine, which is admittedly getting on a bit (about 6 years old now).

I know very little about the workings of a PC and hope there is somebody out there that can help me. Crossing my fingers.....Now.

Kim:confused:
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,043   +84 Staff Member

Take a look in the Device Manager to see that it's still recognized by Windows (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc > Ok).

If it is recognized by Windows, you might just have a dirty lens, in which case you can buy something along the lines of this.

However, it may have failed (as they do, very frequently) and buying that cleaner would be a waste if that's the situation. DVD drives can be had for less than $30 these days, so, you might want to just look into replacing it altogether depending on your willingness to gamble :).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.