Max Payne 3 launch trailer revealed ahead of game release

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Rockstar Games has released the official launch trailer for Max Payne 3. The minute and a half footage doesn’t show too much actual game play but fans of the series will no doubt gather some more information about the overall story and overtone that takes place in the game.

Max Payne 3 follows the protagonist as he continues to struggle with the events that resulted in his family being slain as well as an ongoing addiction to pain killers. The former cop has taken a job in São Paulo, Brazil as a bodyguard for a wealthy family but as is the norm with Max, life is never as easy as it sounds.

PC hardware specifications and various preorder bonuses were made public last month. The PC version will ship with DirectX 11 right out of the box but if the “recommended” specifications are any indication, you’ll want some pretty serious hardware if you plan to run with all of the eye candy turned on. Rockstar lists hardware like the Core i7-3930K, 16GB of RAM and a GTX 680 alongside minimum requirements that include a Dual Core 2.4GHz, 2GB of RAM and an 8600GT.

Max Payne 3 is scheduled to arrive on May 15 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 gamers while those wanting a PC copy will have to wait until May 29 to join in on the action. Expect to dish out just south of $60 for the standard edition and right at $100 for the special edition which includes extras like a 10-inch tall collectible Max Payne statue, a selection of art prints, a bullet-shaped keychain, the official soundtrack and various in-game extras.

Permalink to story.

"The minute and a half footage doesn?t show too much actual game play..."

The disclaimer at the end of the video stated, "This entire trailer was made from game play footage." Just sayin.... ;)

Man, I'd love to jump on this one as the first two Max Payne's were awesome. But just been burned too much on pre-ordering high profile game releases only to see them turn out to be pretty bad. I'll wait until I see some reviews.

I don't want to speak for Shawn, but I think he was implying more that the footage is random, barely discernible snippets from the game and many of the clips look like they're from cut scenes or something (there's supposed to be tons of video content, I believe). Versus seeing someone control Max for a single stretch of action.

I'm having a really difficult time convincing myself not to preorder this as I've been burned one too many times as well. However, since it's coming out on console two weeks ahead of PC or whatever, we should have ample time to make a reasonable educated decision :). I guess that's one benefit of the PC release being delayed.

*Edit*

@SNGX, Different studio with a different style and a different time period (set nearly a decade after the original if I recall right).

Max doesn't look the same. Why would they mess with that?
It's meant to be a departure from the original. He's a different man with a different plan, if you will.

The game mechanics are supposed to be reasonably faithful to its predecessors (ie. run + shoot + bullet time), but it will look quite a bit different. I've heard it takes place in a tropical setting, opposed to the dreary dark film noire that we're used to.

Also, developer Remedy is not working on this one either, which might lend to making this one stand apart from the others.

Ok.

Talking with Tarkus about this and I decided I'd fire up the movie. Good movie. Didn't do well, but I think that is because 95% of its viewers never played the game.

I watched the movie a while back. I think I'll do that this weekend -- thanks for the reminder. I remember thinking it was better than its IMDB score, for whatever that's worth.

I'm a fan of the original game. I never quite got into 2 and I admit I have never seen the movie. Okay, I didn't say I was a *good* fan...

Watch the movie. MP2 wasn't as good as 1, but MP1 is what the movie is based on. It is worth a watch. Lots of floating snow.

Back