Maxblast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

New to this forum so hello! I am trying to get the Win 98 version of Maxtor Maxblast. I formatted a second drive with Maxblast (not the Windows version). Now the computer will recognize the drive and I can write to it just fine but GoBack will not install on the drive. It sees it just fine but will not work with it.
I think what I need to do is format the drive with the Maxblast Windows version but Maxtor's site seems to be out to lunch. When I try to format the drive with Windows, under My Computer, it tells me that there is another utility using the drive and to shut it down and then try again. Nothing is running on the drive so there is nothing to shut down. Help!!:D :D :D

Cheers,

props

MaxBlast does not run in windows. it just needs windows in order to run the exe which creates a bootable disk. MaxBlast runs from that disk to perform the formatting and partitioning operations. You can also use any bootable disk which has tools for partitioning and formatting if you can't get MaxBlast to work(which would be odd since it is made to be easy to use)

As for trying to format the drive from within Windows, you likely have antivirus or other monitoring apps which are scanning that partition. If you have Indexing enabled, this would also likely cause it. System Restore would be another likely culprit, you'd need to make sure System restore is disabled for that particular partition.

I installed a maxtor dive on a win98 machine and the mere mention of max blast sends shivers up and down my spine. It was the first time id ever installed a secondary hd and it simply did not work and I ended up using fdisk, I think, instead.

MaxBlast has to be the simplest drive installation utility ever created. I do not understand how anyone has a problem with it unless:
A) you fail to disable Virus scan in BIOS
B) you are trying to use the size limit override feature, which is only needed if your drive exceeds the limits of your BIOS(its also not really a good idea to use that feature unless absolutely necessary for many reasons)

B) was the case for me- you could also add C) user was inexperienced and inept
The only way I could get it to work was partition it into 8, 5gig drives.

And to further my shame, it remains that way 6 years later...

Originally posted by Godataloss
The only way I could get it to work was partition it into 8, 5gig drives.

And to further my shame, it remains that way 6 years later...

Maybe my memory is failing, or maybe my math is a bit off, but I don't remember there being any 40GB drives in 1998. I even looked in some old mags and 18GB was the biggest I found and those were in ads from late 98.

Maybe it wasn't as long ago as you thought

40GB in 1998? ha. The largest out was around 13GB.

But maybe he upgraded?

:blackeye: pardon e moi- it's a 20 gig drive- 4, 5gig partitions. Haven't used it in quite some time... didnt mean to offend your delicate sensibilites:stickout:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back