Maxtor SATA Ultra16 hard drives at 300GB!

By Phantasm66
Sep 14, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My dream of making a 1TB SATA RAID 5 array came so much closer to being a reality when I read this article on the Maxtor 300-GB SATA Drive Kits.

Going for $239.95 and $279.95, which will provide you with 250-GB and 300-GB of pure SATA loveliness respectively, the Maxtor SATA Ultra16 hard drives boast a 16-Mbyte buffer and spin at 7,200 RPM. No SATA card is provided, however, so you will have to provide your own means of handling that. Not a problem when most modern boards now provide this. Motherboards from companies such as Gigabyte even come with onboard SATA RAID controllers, although for the SATA RAID 5 I am talking about, you would almost certainly need a dedicated card. But forget all of this RAID talk - even just as a single disk one of these will provide solid performance and speed as well as the latest HDD technologies. As a system disk for your OS installation, one of these would be a real winner. Certainly for anyone who has multiple drives in a small case just for the increased disk space, a nice big sized single disk like this would do very well.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.