McAfee: Android was the sole target of mobile malware in Q3

By Jos
Nov 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The amount of malware targeted at Android devices continued to grow at an alarming rate last quarter, according to report by Intel-owned McAfee. The security firm says almost all new…

Read the whole story
  2. Strange how intel (Windows Mobile) is bashing android...
  3. Along with intel owned McAfee, one of the leaders in the Virus Industry, who stand to profit the most from such scaremongering.
  4. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Indeed there's more malware for Android according to reports and studies, what I would really like to know is how widespread they really are and if they have become a a real-world problem for the Android platform.

I see this every time some kind of malware is released for OS X, people start saying "I thought Macs had no viruses" but they never become widespread and are non-issues.
  5. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 153   +22

McAfee seem to be one of the antivirus programs that let stuff through onto peoples PCs , they need to get their house in order before throwing stones.
  6. What's surprising is that there are still people using McAfee.
  7. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 265   +77

malware and virus's... it's the new industrial espionage... lets that the Chinese for brining it's potential to the foreground, with zero reprisals from those affected..
  8. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,035   +70

@mario

I suspect many people who use 'smartphones' aren't smart enough (due to lack of knowledge or whatever) to know that their phone is infected, and doing something unwanted ........
  9. isamuelson

isamuelson Newcomer, in training Posts: 96

Exactly. The latest version (2012) is really bad from various tests done. It gave a computer a clean bill of health yet when Malwarebytes was ran right after the McAfee scan, more than 40 viruses were found on the computer. Plus, when it was trying to clean up some bad files downloaded from some shady sites, you had to reboot after each file was cleaned and even then, there were STILL some infected files left that it didn't clean up.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.