McAfee patents anti-piracy filter

By Rick
Apr 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A recent patent published by McAfee describes what amounts to an anti-piracy system. Titled "Detect and prevent illegal consumption of content on the internet", McAfee's approach would employ a centralized blocklist-style system to issue warnings for -- or entirely block...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,793   +882

Stop invading my kool-aid.
    psycros likes this.
  3. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 688   +207

McAfee: where crazy meets awful.
    JC713 likes this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,909   +724

Is this McAfee chump still on the lam?
  5. This is not a "patent". This is a patent "application". The distinction is significant.
  6. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TechSpot Booster Posts: 267   +47

"McAfee claims there are numerous reasons consumers and businesses might wish to block pirated material."

Consumers... seriously? Simply most of Youtube's content may be categorized as "pirated" and Youtube constantly either takes down the audio or the video or whole account; imagine that on the whole internet browsing.
  7. That "patent" looks like what every single one of today┬┤s firewalls do...
  8. Sounds like people who create malware and viruses are going to have a hayday with people surfing online without antivirus programs to illegally download content if they actually start putting programs like this into protection software
  9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,514   +856

Nah, the free AV programs won't have this. You'll have to buy the paid version to have yourself "protected from illegal downloading". (Yes, I'm being snide).

This patent application is really emblematic of how irrelevant McAfee has become in the realm of consumer AV strategies. At least it appears that way, if the way they're trying to suck up to content providers is any indication.. Even if someone who has no intention of downloading pirated material, this should be massively off putting just for general principles.
  10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,802   +1,431

I was figuring the opposite, get the paid version to avoid the hassle. lol
  11. mrcavooter

mrcavooter TechSpot Member Posts: 65   +7

I wonder how much "Bath Salts" had to be smoked to come up with this one.

12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,514   +856

It's more than likely something that crawled out of the hot, stinking jungles of Ecuador because McAfee needed money to either post bail of flee to a country with no US extradition treaty.
  13. Another reason to not use McAfee product!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.