TechSpot

Media Center edition HELP!!

By lludacrisboy
Jul 30, 2007
  1. ok so i have Media Center Edition which i had to reinstall the Whole O.S. and now when i go to watch LIVE tv on my computer i get this message.

"Video Error
    The video decoder is either corrupt or not installed. please restart media center an/or the computer. If the problem persists go to help for additional info."
    i get this message and ive tried everything i cant seem to figure out how to fix it so i can watch live tv. Please help. i think i have to buy the power pack of cyberdvd or something but not sure.
    Thanks

2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

Hi

assuming its a codec issue then download Power DVD the trial version, this will install the needed codec, and wont uninstall it even if you uninstall PDVD..

Regards

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,715   +397

Yep, you need the decoder. For some reason Microsoft thought you didn't deserve a mpeg2 codec when you bought MCE so they make you obtain it on your own.

The good thing is you probably have WinDVD or PowerDVD on a disk somewhere (likely came with your computer or dvd drive) and once you install that it will work.

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,708   +1,887

My Suspicions Are:

They couldn't steamroll somebody for the rights to the codec.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.