TechSpot

Media Center yanked from Windows 8 Release Preview, here's how to re-enable it

By Jos
Jun 1, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has already said that Windows Media Center will be available to Windows 8 users as a separate, paid for add-on, rather than being integrated into the OS as was...

Read the whole story
  2. or just use windows 7 Home Premium :)
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,347   +397

What Guest said. It's ridiculous to have to pay extra for what anyone would consider a basic necessity in an operating system.
  4. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

Well, since they finally reduced the number of versions being released (and the coinciding confusion and potential upgrade revenue), they have to make their extra money somewhere. Typical Microsoft - one step forward, two steps back.
  5. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Booster Posts: 272   +47

Well, at least they make somehow steps forward :p
  6. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 528   +146

In the end it doesn't matter. If people really want optical playback they will obtain some software that allows it, or just won't bother upgrading to Win8.

I don't know about some of you guys, but I only touched the Media Center for my 360, and then left it for years... don't really need it. Heck, it might even be a few bucks cheaper cause of this :p
  7. killeriii

killeriii TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

I would bet this is tied in with future xbox sales.
  8. It doesn't work. There is no mention of "add features" in the search and if I type it in, it says it can't be found. This is in the latest 64-bit download that I just installed a few min. ago.
    Unless I'm doing something wrong
  9. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 528   +146

You were searching through apps. You have to choose the right category (I got 0 hits for apps, 3 hits for system whatever, and 0 hits for another category...)
  10. phillai

phillai TS Rookie Posts: 25

What if I was upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium?
    Does that mean I need to buy Windows Media Centre again even though I have it already??
  11. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,575   +47

Just a complete shambles on Microsoft's part...

12. Right edge click search choose the settings option type add features, then product key from above then walla!
  13. Good move by Microsoft with so many stand
    alone media boxes on the market one can only
    assume there is going to be software compatibility
    issues.
    From my experience and having read quite a number
    of blogs on other sites more people used Windows
    Media Player anyway, for basic audio and visual
    requirements.
    Quite frankly I would prefer to have choice particularly
    when money is involved. It will be good to start with
    a blank slate and do the research.
  14. Another nail in Windows Media Center's coffin.

WMC is a fantastic bit of software - especially when tied to some extenders around the home (or 360's). IMHO its still the best PC TiVO software out there and I've tried em all. But they have advertised and promoted it so poorly over the years that it was doomed to fail. Nobody makes entenders for it anymore and no wonder.

I feel for the engineers who put this software together.
  15. penn919

penn919 TS Enthusiast Posts: 154   +12

I'll definitely be skipping out on Windows 8. I'm not sold on the tablet craze and there's Windows 7 gets the job just fine.
  16. I really like WMC a lot, been waiting and waiting for improvements but nothing!, Big bummer as my only interest in Windows 8 was the hope they improved Media Center!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.