Media Test Failure....help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've installed a master and slave drive into a different PC.

The PC that they came from was a HP 550 and they went into a Gateway E4100. I've also installed the video card, and disk drive.

After adjusting the jumpers to get the PC to DOS mode I'm now getting the following messages:

"UNDI intialized failed"
"Media Test Failure"
"Boot Failure"

I'm could use some direction on troubleshooting.

Thanks

If you are trying to use Winodws on the hard drive from the HP 550, into the Compaq, it will never work without a new version of Windows or a call to Microsoft...
But if you are merely trying to use one drive as a slave...
Are these SATA drives, or EIDe drives?
Tell us what you mean by "adjusting the jumpers to get the PC to DOS mode" and why you are doing that?
Basically, it sounds like what you have is not respected by windows, perhasp because your jumpers are incorrect.

Not sure of the drives. The master came directly from the HP which is about 3 years old. The slave worked in the HP.

When intitally installed into the Gateway, all I got was a fast beep code and nothing would happen beyond the Gateway start up screen. When I adjusted the jumpers to mirror the harddrive I took out of the Gateway I got past the fast beep and began getting the error messages listed. I tried adjusting a few things in the BIOS, then adjusted them back as to not lose the settings.

The reason for all of this is is either the power supply or motherboard was bad on the HP (I'm 95% sure) and this Gateway had sat for 3 years and was brand new. I simply wanted to install my harddrives into the Gateway and I'm obvioulsy having some trouble.

An HP Windows drive will work on an HP board, but not on a Gateway board... if I understand what you are doing correctly... but to get it to work on a Gateway, you need to use Windows XP full version which will preserve your data, or Gateway recovery disc... which will likely destroy all your data... unless you install it merely as a Slave drive.
You can jumper the disk so that one is a Master and jumpered as master, and the other one jumpered as slave... but once it leaves the motherboard which has the EEPROM tattooed for HP and the HP version of Windows Recovery Install, you are in for a battle. This is a requirement of Microsoft and the "Recovery disc system" they sell to the manufacturers.

But if you have the Gateway recovery disc, you can reinstall Windows using the Gateway Windows XP ID or Key

Thanks much for the feedback. I'll try the Windows XP full version first. I didn't realize there were variations between XP versions...for Gateway HP, etc

You cannot use one hard drive with windows loaded on it as a boot drive for another motherboard or system.

1. Windows is licensed by serial # for only 1 mobo at a time. (It will check too.)

2. Windows configures itself for each system it is loaded on.

Either reformat and reload windows (and re-register) or buy another copy of XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back