Media test failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi id really appreciate if someone could help me, i dont know much about laptops but a little! ok my acer travelmate 290 only boots to the acer page no futher, it says to press f2 to setup which i did and on the bios menu the 1st setting it says disabled, i gather this means the hd is disabled? is there any way i can sort this out? it then goes to a black screen and says media test failure check cable, and rom space not avalible card disabled? then exting pxe rom? then back to a blue screen with a choice of cd rom to boot from or hard disk drive, diskette a, or pxe lan, none of then work? would love someones help many thanks

Please got back to Bios Setup, locate set Defaults, enable it, the Save and Exit
If this does not help, you may need to remove the HardDrive (physically unscrew and detach) then re-insert it again. Then try powering up again.
If this still does not help, you may have a dead internal HardDrive :(

hi thanks 4 ur reply, im no good at this stuff its for men lol ok to get to the bios menu im going into fir ports is this correct? on the bio settings the 1st one says disabled theres no default option anywhere on the screen?

Please got back to Bios Setup, locate set Defaults, enable it, the Save and Exit
If this does not help, you may need to remove the HardDrive (physically unscrew and detach) then re-insert it again. Then try powering up again.

also if the hard drive is dead is it just a case of me buying another hard drive and inserting it? many thanks

Please continue to search in Bios Setup for "Defaults" it may say "Optimized Defaults" or "Factory Defaults" then enable it, then Save and Exit

Note: Many (most) Bios setups have multiple pages, usually pressing tab, or reading the lower part of the Bios screen, you will see how to change pages (Defaults usually being on the last page)

You can also try just Enabling the Harddrive (presently disabled) then Save and Exit (being F10)

Also try to locate the HardDrive under the laptop (one of those covers!)
Or just download the user manual, which should tell you this location on your computer.

Good luck :)

Hi thanks again for your help, i removed hard drive and put it back in and its still saying the same, and ive tabbed down on bios page theres nothing else on there and it will not give me the enable option ive been trying for hours, i dont understand it. if it is a knackered hard drive can i simpy get another one and put it in? will i still have xp etc on there?

You may have a dead Harddrive. But you must find setup defaults in Bios before deciding on this.

If it is a dead Harddrive, then obviously replacing it will fix it. But you will then need to install Windows again.

Judging from your questions (and responses) you may need someone there to help you further
As installing Windows and replacing Harddrives requires some computer knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back