Meet the 707-HP, Hellcat-powered Jeep Trailcat

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If a Jeep was ever to get a Hellcat engine transplant, the obvious recipient would be the performance-minded Grand Cherokee SRT (it's happening next year, by the way). With 475 horsepower on tap and four drive wheels, the SUV is plenty quick.

In the interim, Jeep has taken its supercharged 707 horsepower monster from the high-end Challenger / Charger and dropped it in a Wrangler because why the hell not?

Surprisingly enough, the 6.2-liter Hemi V8 looks right at home under the hood of the new Jeep Trailcat. Of course, Jeep had to lengthen the vehicle by a full foot to get it to fit but whatever. The engine is mated to a six-speed manual transmission that powers massive 39.5-inch BF Goodrich Krawler T/A tires on 17-inch beadlock wheels.

Other goodies include Fox shocks, a two-inch lift kit, Dana 60 axles front and rear, a lowered windshield, seats from a Dodge Viper and a custom vented hood, just to name a few.

As you may have guessed, the Jeep Trailcat is a concept (for now) – one of several Jeep unveiled for the 50th annual Easter Jeep Safari taking place later this month in Moab, Utah. That means the Trailcat will likely never make it into production.

Personally, I'd like to see it line up against this V8 LSX-powered Jeep Willys.

Engine bay image via Car and Driver

Permalink to story.

And frankly, since most off road vehicles are more about torc, why such a large engine ... unless of course you're like so many of the pick up owners in my area that would never dare get the darn over priced muddy .... oh Lord no!!!!!

Wonder what the weight is., thats a heavy motor even without the supercharger.
The Hellcat @ 4400 lbs is a monstrosity.

Since it's just a "concept", they might as well throw some airless tires on it.

Little more than a Concept, they built it, it works and runs, they even mentioned all the parts they used which are mostly off the shelf parts, minus the elongated chassis and a few custom body panels. Actually I'm not sure why they didn't use the 4 door chassis to begin with, it looks to about as long. This is close enough to being production ready that it might be introduced in the coming months, I'm sure there would be enough crazy Americans ready to fork over the $60,000+ asking price.

Wonder what the weight is., thats a heavy motor even without the supercharger.
The Hellcat @ 4400 lbs is a monstrosity.
The Chrysler 392 although a cast iron block isn't appreciably heavier than alloy blocks of the same performance segment. You would be looking at around 500-550lb dry (inc bolt-ons like the supercharger, starter etc). A comparable alloy block would be GM's (Gen V) 6.2L LT1 at 465lb found in the Z06/Z07 Vette and Camaro.
And frankly, since most off road vehicles are more about torc, why such a large engine ...
Because the 392 block is standard for high torque applications. Off road isn't about maximum torque, it is about usable torque. 650lb/ft of peak torque, while applicable for a road car is less of a factor than 411 lb/ft @ 1200 r.p.m. for off road applications.
hellcat-engine.jpg

unless of course you're like so many of the pick up owners in my area that would never dare get the darn over priced muddy .... oh Lord no!!!!!
That is the case pretty much everywhere. Soccer moms using SUV's as grocery getters for example, or midlife crisis owners of supercars/musclecars that check the automatic transmission option on the order form.

The Chrysler 392 although a cast iron block isn't appreciably heavier than alloy blocks of the same performance segment. You would be looking at around 500-550lb dry (inc bolt-ons like the supercharger, starter etc). A comparable alloy block would be GM's (Gen V) 6.2L LT1 at 465lb found in the Z06/Z07 Vette and Camaro.
The v12 viper engine is nice. I really liked the motorcycle with that engine in it.

Because the 392 block is standard for high torque applications. Off road isn't about maximum torque, it is about usable torque. 650lb/ft of peak torque, while applicable for a road car is less of a factor than 411 lb/ft @ 1200 r.p.m. for off road applications.
hellcat-engine.jpg

That is the case pretty much everywhere. Soccer moms using SUV's as grocery getters for example, or midlife crisis owners of supercars/musclecars that check the automatic transmission option on the order form.
I always prefer an auto transmission to a manual. I'd rather hold my wife's hand than a shift knob. :) If you try to max out an auto on the streets you get ticketed for exhibition of speed. I know from experience.

I always prefer an auto transmission to a manual. I'd rather hold my wife's hand than a shift knob. :) If you try to max out an auto on the streets you get ticketed for exhibition of speed. I know from experience.
Sometimes I really can't "wrap my head around" many of the things you post

For this post of yours to make any sense whatsoever, (to me at least), one would have to assume you could go blasting down the street, tires smoking, with a stick shift, without fear of reprisal from law enforcement.:D

I also freely admit I can, at times, be difficult.

Last edited:
I love the full width axles. Take the giant HP engine out and put in an eco diesel and it would be the rock-crawler of my dreams...

Sometimes I really can't "wrap my head around" many of the things you post

For this post of yours to make any sense whatsoever, (to me at least), one would have to assume you could go blasting down the street, tires smoking, with a stick shift, without fear of reprisal from law enforcement.:D

I also freely admit I can, at times, be difficult.
Then you don't understand the benefit of a standard at launch over an auto. That's really the only benefit it offers.
I do have an auto with manual override, but I don't bother as I don't race.
You can get a ticket without ever breaking the speed limit or spinning a tire, just by accelerating faster than the police feel is necessary.

....[ ]...You can get a ticket without ever breaking the speed limit or spinning a tire, just by accelerating faster than the police feel is necessary.
And assuming a rolling start, you can accomplish that with either style transmission.

I doubt in this day and age, stick holds any advantage over auto anyway. (Save for price) The new Vettes, (IIRC), now offer a 10 speed auto, and I'm pretty sure you could do all the flat shifting and arm flailing in the world in a stick shift model, and still get smoked.

And assuming a rolling start, you can accomplish that with either style transmission.
I doubt in this day and age, stick holds any advantage over auto anyway. (Save for price) The new Vettes, (IIRC), now offer a 10 speed auto, and I'm pretty sure you could do all the flat shifting and arm flailing in the world in a stick shift model, and still get smoked.
For the average driver, an auto is probably better balanced. For balls to the wall racing (which should be the raison d'être for a performance car rather than ego stroking), autos can have rather conservative shift points - although for straight line stoplight-to-stoplight I think the auto is generally faster thanks to smoother gear changes and less input lag. At the other end of the scale, auto's can have an annoying habit of sitting at the top of the rev band at a lower gear when shifting to a higher gear manually lowers fuel consumption.
Direct comparisons seem fairly difficult since gear ratios tend to differ between auto and manual of the same model.
Since we're on the Atlantic City board at the weigh guess booth, want to hazard a guess at what tonnage a Cadillac "Escalade" tips the scales?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...calade&btnG=Google+Search&oq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=
So, the Escalade is virtually a sub-compact compared with the Lincoln Navigator!

Last edited:
For the average driver, an auto is probably better balanced. For balls to the wall racing (which should be the raison d'être for a performance car rather than ego stroking), autos can have rather conservative shift points - although for straight line stoplight-to-stoplight I think the auto is generally faster thanks to smoother gear changes and less input lag.
What I got from review of the 2014 or maybe 2015 Z something Corette, was that they offered a 10 speed auto optional, in lieu of the junkie 9 speed OEM. OK, so either box has to have close enough ratios to easily hold the engine in the engine in the perfect power band. As for conservative shift points, I'm guessing the car has to be "hacked", or, "chipped" at the ECM. (You even have to replace chips in a new Harley-Davidson's ECM, should you change the exhaust system from stock (*)).
At the other end of the scale, auto's can have an annoying habit of sitting at the top of the rev band at a lower gear when shifting to a higher gear manually lowers fuel consumption.
Direct comparisons seem fairly difficult since gear ratios tend to differ between auto and manual of the same model.
I doubt it's as bad these days as it was in the era of the Chevy "Powerglide", with its formidable choice of 2 speeds
So, the Escalade is virtually a sub-compact compared with the Lincoln Navigator!
Meh, only a difference of about two lard a**ed Americans, give or take.:D

(*) It would seem if you want to make a bunch of noise with your "Hog" nowadays, you have to "pay the piper", who has actually gone to junior college to become a firmware engineer.

Last edited:
You guys should take a look at how BMW handles their M division with regard to manual vs. automatic transmissions. A lot of their sales are actually dual clutch transmissions because they perform better as a daily driver. Since you can program the RPM ranges at which to flip gears at, there is no benefit to having a manual since you have full control over gear changes minus the ability to completely stall your engine. You can have multiple presets for driving modes that actually work. Sport+ allows you to red line your engine on the track, while eco lets you get more than 20mpg cruising around, which is darn good for a 400+ horsepower vehicle.

You guys should take a look at how BMW handles their M division with regard to manual vs. automatic transmissions.
Been there, done that. I've owned BMW 5 series cars for years (inc a fun/near-classic E34 M5). Numbers are one thing, the experience quite another.
For example, C&D's M4 numbers heavily favour the auto, yet they sum up their review with:
Although the M4, like most modern BMWs, is less engaging to drive than its predecessor, it’s still a great performance car. We could live without most of this test car’s add-ons, but not its manual transmission.

Back