MegaUpload now set to relaunch as mega.co.nz

Rick

After Kim Dotcom was denied the possibility of resurrecting MegaUpload as Me.ga, the controversial figure blasted the U.S. and Vivendi for their opposing views and global reach. Dotcom added that Mega was well-prepared for this contingency however, with a number of potential domains to fall back on. Today, Dotcom Tweeted that mega.co.nz will be the new home for the infamous cloud storage service.

Although mega.co.nz doesn't have quite the same cachet as me.ga, it'll have to do for now. The Gabonese government (hence the .ga domain) was largely blamed for putting a stop to Dotcom's me.ga domain. Citing concerns of potentially sponsoring piracy, Gabon's Minister of Communications, Blaise Louembe, instructed his departments to pull the plug on me.ga.

For a brief period of time however, the domain appeared to fall into the hands of "Omega". According to Torrent Freak, a group of hackers claimed to have actually hijacked the address. During that period, Me.ga was indeed redirecting to the group's supposed Twitter feed (@O) but has since quit resolving -- perhaps that Gabonese suspension is finally in play.

Although Dotcom's vitriol toward the United States elicits little surprise, the French website Numerama explains why he also mentioned Vivendi. Known by many gamers as the parent company to Activision-Blizzard, Vivendi is a majority stake-holder in Gabon Telecom -- the registrar responsible for managing .ga domains. The connection may be tenuous, but there's no question Vivendi has a vested interest in protecting its intellectual property.

The new MegaUpload is expected to launch January 19. The site redesign employs private encryption keys and globalized cloud storage to skirt around the same legal issues which originally put Kim Dotcom in whole lot of trouble.

Permalink to story.

If Vivedi has a mad on with Mr. Dotcom, woe to anyone that helps him. Vivendi is huge. Thats the last thing any individual person wants. I giant multi national corporation gunning for you. I foresee lots of headaches for NZ. I personally cant believe how much this country is in love with Dotcom.

"The site redesign employs private encryption keys and globalized cloud storage to skirt around the same legal issues which originally put Kim Dotcom in whole lot of trouble"

Well... he's not doing a very good job of skirting around those legal issues if he's having trouble finding a country to host his servers.

Actually, he is, but our good old administration does not realize what they do and do not have power over, and the rest of the world is afraid to deal with us... for now... except maybe russia and a few others

Dotcom has to have a lifetime supply of Brasso. He would have to, to keep his brass ones polished. Im 100% sure the US govt. is going to go after this website he has created just as viscously as they did his original. ppl in Law Enforcment dont like individuals whom they suspect of commiting a crime to thumb their noses at the system. Im betting Mr. Dotcom is going to make a small mistake and the US will HA! CAPITALIZE on it. He still has to answer charges from the US. Untill those get cleared up, Dotcom will be under US scrutinity.

Lol. upon seeing the picture of dotcom, I thought he joined apple because of the iWANTED word.
on second look, he did NOT.

I don't think he will get away by calling his products/services with other names.

he is under u.s. magnifying lens so "an apple called by any other name is still an apple"

With any luck Dotcom will die of heart disease soon. So disgusting.

Run Fatboy, Run!

Yeah, and would you feel safe using his new service that probably has its own gov spy satellite by now?

LoL! He HID from the cops in his SAFE ROOM when they busted in the door!!

Just like most Internet 'Braves', DotCom is another gutless b4stard. Fat too.

No Brasso required.

Why bash dotcom because he's fat?

bash him because he condones piracy.

I'm fat too, I'm dirt-poor (but handsome :) )

If Vivedi has a mad on with Mr. Dotcom, woe to anyone that helps him. Vivendi is huge.
Dude, Kim Cotcom is probably bigger
I foresee lots of headaches for NZ. I personally cant believe how much this country is in love with Dotcom.
They're just patronizing him, while they try to keep him herded to the center of the island. If they were to let him stroll on the beach, New Zealand would probably capsize.

"Why bash dotcom because he's fat?"

Dude, you answered your own question.

Perhaps because the bigger he is the more of us get a go.

"Dotcom has to have a lifetime supply of Brasso."

I know WHY he has Brasso....

Why bash dotcom because he's fat?

bash him because he condones piracy.

I'm fat too, I'm dirt-poor (but handsome :) )
I think most of us that look upon his size, and equate it as being emblematic of his greed. "I eat 2 pound steaks because I can afford them, I feel like it, and I don't care what I look like after I'm done", is pretty much the general vibe he transmits.

Back