MegaUpload's me.ga domain suspended prior to launch

Rick

Staff

Well -- that didn't take long. It appears MegaUpload's resurrection as me.ga has already been thwarted by the Gabonese government. The republic's Minster of Communications Blaise Lourmbe insisted that Gabon will not "serve as a platform or screen for committing acts aimed at violating copyrights, nor be used by unscrupulous people". While this doesn't necessarily mean the end of MegaUpload's revival, the site will have to forgo its planned use of me.ga.

In response to the loss of its domain, MegaUpload necromancer Kim Dotcom took to Twitter. "The reach of the US & Vivendi: Gabon Minister announced Me.ga domain will be suspended. Calls cloud storage site cyber crime." It's unclear how Vivendi, known to gamers as Activision-Blizzard's parent company, may be involved.

Also on Twitter, Dotcom noted he's prepared for this setback, armed with alternate domains. However, surely no alternatives are so stylishly succinct as "me.ga".

Earlier, Dotcom explained that MegaUpload will be more robust, employing technology buzzwords like "cloud" and "encryption". For starters, the site will be hosted across many servers located throughout the world -- countries where MegaUpload's new approach is expected to be in compliance with local laws. Dotcom essentially hopes that willful ignorance of illegally copied materials -- using AES encryption to obfuscate uploads from MegaUpload operators -- will be enough to keep authorities at bay. Only uploaders (and the people they choose to share those files with) will actually know what's being uploaded.

Me.ga, which once redirected to kim.com/mega, can still be reached using that address. Only the domain name pointing to it, me.ga, was impacted. MegaUpload still seems poised for its January 19 launch.

Interestingly though, me.ga seems to already have a new owner: the domain now redirects this twitter account run by @O (omega). Judging by his or her tweets, @O isn't exactly a Kim Dotcom fan either.

Permalink to story.

That 'omega' guy needs therapy..

The upside this is awesome to watch unfold.. seeing just how far the MPAA/vivendi?/US gov't crack heads will go to try and soothe their bruised egos..

The upside this is awesome to watch unfold.. seeing just how far the MPAA/vivendi?/US gov't crack heads will go to try and soothe their bruised egos..

To quote the author 'that didn't take long' In this case, for someone to side with Kim. Everyone hates big fatcat CEOs getting rich off the average Joe. Unless of course, that big fatcat is STEALING, then people start taking his side.
But Kim is stealing from the MPAA and hollywood, not the average joe! You think so? You think the execs are getting smaller bonuses because they made less money, do you think Tom Cruise is going to get less for the next MI movie? Or do you think ticket prices will go up a little... maybe DVDs cost a little more and some poor sap mopping the floors at Universal doesn't get the raise he was hoping for.

Stop defending Kim, he's a criminal by any legal definition.

No until they destroy each other...something good has to come from that

I love the "its stealing" panties. Copying is not stealing. Stealing means removal of a material object from a possessor.

The damage done to the original owner is minimal at worst and usually is an advantage. It has been shown time and time again that in the vast majority of cases copied material would never have been purchased and thus amounts to an excellent source of FREE advertising.

Police should focus on the tangible injustice. There is plenty out there.

Better yet, we should all spend a little more energy understanding cause and effect and stop being thumb-sucking little panties.

To quote the author 'that didn't take long' In this case, for someone to side with Kim. Everyone hates big fatcat CEOs getting rich off the average Joe. Unless of course, that big fatcat is STEALING, then people start taking his side.
But Kim is stealing from the MPAA and hollywood, not the average joe! You think so? You think the execs are getting smaller bonuses because they made less money, do you think Tom Cruise is going to get less for the next MI movie? Or do you think ticket prices will go up a little... maybe DVDs cost a little more and some poor sap mopping the floors at Universal doesn't get the raise he was hoping for.

Stop defending Kim, he's a criminal by any legal definition.

http://torrentfreak.com/riaa-keeps-settlement-money-080228/

http://torrentfreak.com/rights-group-fined-for-not-paying-artist-for-anti-piracy-ad-120717/

http://torrentfreak.com/artist-cant-get-pirated-music-off-itunes-google-and-microsoft-stores-121016/

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-loot-with-artists-120728/

Who is the criminal here?

" Copying is not stealing."
Very true. Copying is not stealing at all.
However, the time people spend making those products which is then just simply copied for free without paying is still causing problems. They make movies and music not for free. They make it so that they can earn money for their livelihood. So something must still be done about it.

Employing technology buzzwords like "obese" and "disgusting" and "smarmy" and "small penis".

" Copying is not stealing."
Very true. Copying is not stealing at all.
However, the time people spend making those products which is then just simply copied for free without paying is still causing problems. They make movies and music not for free. They make it so that they can earn money for their livelihood. So something must still be done about it.

Someone who couldn't or wouldn't pay today's prices for a movie or album isn't hurting anyone's bottom line by obtaining a copy. 99% of downloaders fall into one of those categories, as has been proven over, and over, and over. If the prices of content were actually <b>reasonable</b> and we were allowed to buy a no-DRM copy we own forever, the problem would take care of itself.

Aw. I was reppin this site's comeback so hard I got banned 10 times this week :(
It was all for nothing xD

I had mod files uploaded to mega uploadand linked to my YouTube video. There was nothing ilegal about it. Is not mega uploads fault for people using the service illegally.

It's too bad there's no way to get the files back. I lost all my photos and bookmarks :(

I'll learn to choose where I store my files next time

"Someone who couldn't or wouldn't pay today's prices for a movie or album isn't hurting anyone's bottom line by obtaining a copy. 99% of downloaders fall into one of those categories, as has been proven over, and over, and over. If the prices of content were actually reasonable and we were allowed to buy a no-DRM copy we own forever, the problem would take care of itself."

Take a look at Android applications. They are cheap yet that does not entirely stop "piracy". Hell, many people "pirate" because they can. Not because they need to. When it's easy to access paid goods for free, why the hell not?

What needs to change though is convenience. As a result, I agree with the DRM. DRM is a pain in the rear. They could still use DRM but make it easy to deal with. I still like the days when software only used serial keys. No online activation or whatnot. Just plain-old serial keys that you can use over and over again.

Stealing isn't confined by 'how' you acquired it. Stealing is taking something that doesn't belong to you. Whether you copied it is irrelevent. It's only 'ok' if the owners say it's ok. You can think what you want, but the law, the judge, and just about anyone who's ever had anything stolen from them, will disagree.

Stealing isn't confined by 'how' you acquired it. Stealing is taking something that doesn't belong to you. Whether you copied it is irrelevent. It's only 'ok' if the owners say it's ok. You can think what you want, but the law, the judge, and just about anyone who's ever had anything stolen from them, will disagree.

So you agree that organizations like the MPAA, RIAA, and BREIN are criminals then? They are also taking something that does not belong to them.

I've had stuff stolen from me, it was an old phone of mine a few years ago, wasn't very expensive, but none the less a pain and it did annoy me.

My brother came round my place recently, he copied a few music tracks off my iTunes without my permission.

Guess which one I considered stealing and Guess which one annoyed me the most?

It really doesn't matter which verbage you use theft is theft. It doesn't matter if you agree with it. It is the law. All the justification in the world will not change the fact that piracy is illegal and is considered theft. WTF ppl were you not raised better then this? Advancements in tech is no excuse to be a thief.

"Blah blah blah Kim Dotcom is a criminal herp derp".

Prove it. So far the US government hasn't been able to prove anything. Neither has the NZ government. Nothing whatsoever. Kim is going to walk free, and rightfully so.

It really doesn't matter which verbage you use theft is theft. It doesn't matter if you agree with it. It is the law. All the justification in the world will not change the fact that piracy is illegal and is considered theft.

The only reason why "It is the law"... is because the companies had the money to make their laws voted... there are not the musicians who are behind this, don't be confused.
I make a painting, people take pictures and no one pay me nothing... I record a song, people make copies and the companies start crying... piracy, piracy!!!! and a few lazy musicians, also cry... of course, they want to live like kings for ever, for just a few hours of work...
And the reason why no one would pay me nothing for take pictures of my paintings is because there are no "pictography" companies out there...

Wendig0 - stop being so reasonable. This isn't about the law, it's about forcing a service provider out of business using tactics one national government has even apologized for. It's about RIAA and MPAA proving they're above mere laws. And, apparently, it's about whether the necromancer (LOL) is fat. Laws, unless pushed and paid for by the famously dirty music and movie industries, have nothing to do with it.

I am really surprised that the US government has not strong armed the Indian government until now. Or should I say hats off to India for resisting the US pressure ?

If you look at it. almost all the newly spawned file hosting / sharing services have Indian domain names.

Regardless of what opinions are expressed here nothing is going to be done by either house of the US legislatures. One absolutely can't forget that the entire current lot of legislators are 99 % dependent on the 1%ers for financing their reelection campaigns.

A while back there was serious consideration of shifting the Indian parliamentary system to presidential system. Having followed last 2 presidential elections quite closely I thank god ( in expression only) that nothing came of it. The so called most powerful man in the world AND leader of the FREE world can't get s*** passed in his own country. In that sense the UK or French or India style democracy is superior by far. Oh yes the 1 %ers do exist but they have to please the party in power or get s*** kicked out of them.

Long live RIAA / MPAA !!!!

Back