Memory problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I have an Acer desktop with Vista and it was running very slow but it had only 512MB so its no suprise, so I ordered another 1GB from Crucial to improve performance. On installation the system only recognises the 1GB not the other 512MB, I have tried swapping modules between both slots but no difference. If I just load the 1GB it is recognised OK, if I just install the 512MB it is happily recognised and the system boot up OK, but with both modules in place only the 1GB is recognised.
Has anyone any ideas as to why the system won't recognise both modules?

You have to be very careful when choosing memory for this system. Go to the Asus website and look for you models specs. That will tell you what memory is proper and what the maximum memory allowed is...

"Has anyone any ideas as to why the system won't recognise both modules?"...

It's not good to mix memory. Buy another 1GB Crucial stick like the one you have, and ditch the 512MB module

Smart, but what if he cant afford it? *Cunning logic* If he could, he would have bought it. Ahh

The memory from Crucial was chosen through their memory selector so should have worked Ok, which it does on its own.
I left the pc with just the 1GB, it runs a lot better anyway, if it was my computer I would have fitted the 2 sticks of 1GB as you guys suggested, Vista seems to run best with 2GB.
Thanks for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back