Memory Query

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might sound like a very nooby question but I've to ask it anyway!

Upgrading my dads stone-age PC, and want to add additional RAM. He has 1x512Mb DDR (400Mhz) in there right now. If I add a 1Gb DDR (400Mhz) stick to increase to 1.5gb, will this cause issues? I seem to have a bell rigning in the back of my head telling me to match memory sticks like for like. I.e. I'll either need to add another 512Mb stick, or take the 512Mb out and add one, or two 1Gb sticks... can someone clarify please.

Ram can be very sensitive
There are also other contributing factors like Dual Channel, and compatibility issues
Just install the exact same 512Meg stick ;)

DDR PC3200 (400 MHz) is getting very expensive, and will become moreso. Best to do the job no on his budget. I would install a one-gigabyte module in slot one, and the 512 in slot two. You will not create any issues that will be detectable. It is always better to have both modules the same speed, and even the same brand... but you really should not have problems in most computers.
The way Windows is junking up computers with huge updates, you need more than 512 MB for good performance. Get him to spring for two 1 GB modules, and shop carefully for the best price... Buffalo at Directron, Kingston at Zipzoomfly, Newegg, Kahlon... ore wherever you normally shop. Most memory is very stable these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back