TechSpot

"memory read/write failure"

By raebabe
Mar 3, 2004
  1. When I boot up this system (a DELL OPTIPLEX GX110) it hangs at the DOS prompts before the system gets to the Windows screen. In the DOS prompts I am seeing the only error I can find which is "memory read/write failure.....Decreasing available memory" Then it finishes booting up and I log in and it hangs at the wonderfull blue screen of death untill I unplug it. I have swapped the power supply & the memory stick and the I reseated the CPU to no avail but I've never seen this error.

The entire error is as follows: "memory read/write failure at 0A38F12C, read 38D730D7 expecting 38D738D7 Decreasing available memory The amount of system memory has changed"

When I swap memory sticks it only says "The amount of system memory has changed" but it still hangs.

Has anyone ever seen this error to know what else I can troubleshoot?

2. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

Are you swapping the memory with the "exact" same type of memory?

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

You may have integrated graphics on that PC, where the graphics card-part has gone wrong. That is the only part of a PC that takes memory away the way you describe.
    If there is an AGP-slot, try a card in there and see what happens.
    Alternative is a PCI-graphics card.
    In either case, see if you can disable the onboard graphics.

You might also try to go in your BIOS. There it might "shadow" ROM or Video-RAM. See if disabling that helps.

4. raebabe

raebabe TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 64

At first no but since you suggested it I swapped with another GX110 and I got the same result.

Also, if it were the memory card wouldn't I be getting a beep code. I didn't think it would let me log on (as far as I could log on anyways)?

Realblackstuff: I'm troublshooting everything else right now

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.