Memory Upgrade - Dell XPS R400 with Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell XPS R400 with a Pentium II, 400 MHz processor running Windows 2000. (It originally had Windows 98). I currently have one socket filled with 128 MB of SDRAM (PC100, unbuffered, CL=2) . I would like to upgrade and add more memory.

Information from Dell says the computer supports 100 Mhz SDRAM 168 pin DIMM with a maximum size of 128 MB up to a total of 384 MB (3 sockets).

The motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2. The documentation for it says it supports up to a 256 MB DIMM SDRAM for a total of 768 MB.

Why the discrepancy? Is it based on the OS? And how high can I go?

The old W98 did not function properly with 256MB or over.
W2000 does not need more than 512MB, but works fine with up to 1GB.
Intel said:
System Memory Combinations
The motherboard has three, dual in-line memory module (DIMM) sockets. Minimum memory size is 16 MB; maximum memory size is 768 MB. The largest DIMM supported at this time is 256 MB using unbuffered 128 Mbit technology parts. The BIOS automatically detects memory type, size, and speed.

I would believe Intel rather than Dell.
Make sure you get PC100/CL2 SDRam, anything else does not work.
You can mix different MB-sizes memory-chips. So buy what you can afford.
Unless you do intensive graphics, even just 1 256MB-stick will do wonders.

DIMM order

Thanks for the response... :)

Is there any importance in installing the DIMMS in size order (i.e., highest MB DIMM in first socket, etc.)?

Have a look at Crucial, you can enter your system specifications & see which memory modules are suitable for it.

I'm going to be adding a 256 stick to a system that has a 128 stick in the first slot....Is it necessary to put the 256 stick into the first slot and move the 128 into the second?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back