Memory upgrade, matching w/ FSB speed?

jstluise

I have a Inspiron e1505 with a Intel Duo Processor T2400 (2M Cache, 1.83 GHz, 667 MHz FSB). My current memory is 2 x 512mb DDR2 533 (PC2 4200).

I plan to upgrade my memory to 2 x 1gb. I was going to get DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) to match with the 667 MHz FSB. I do have the option of getting DDR2 800, but I think this would be pointless since the FSB is only 667.

Is this the right way of going about it? I'm no expert, but just from searching around the web this is the basic idea I gathered.

Thanks for the help

I guess what I meant my "pointless" is that the extra speed of the DDR2 800 wouldn't be utilized since the processor's FSB is only 667 MHz. Is the limiting factor the processor's FSB speed?

It's probably not that simple, could someone explain or point me to a good resource?

Thanks for the response

DDR-800 in your machine won't run any faster than DDR-667. The FSB frequency is the limiting factor. However, it wouldn't hurt anything, it would just run at the 667Mhz speed. With that being said, if you can find matching memory @800Mhz on sale, it might be cheaper than the 667 @ normal price.

Just make sure to use a "generic" type memory in your notebook, since you probably don't have any adjustments available in BIOS to make allowances for high performance types. (IE; voltage or timing). "Kingston Value RAM" is a good example of generic RAM.

High performance memory would only be of value if you were going to "overclock" your computer, which I sense is not the case here.

"Generic" memory, is memory that conforms to the exact spec for it's type with respect to speed and timing. That spec is identical for DDR-667 & DDR-800, hence the interchangeability.

Thanks Captain!

Newegg has Crucial 2gb (2x1gb) DDR2-667 on sale with free shipping ($39)...can't beat that. At regular prices, the 667 and the 800 are the same price. So looks like I'll go with the 667. Anything will be an upgrade for what I have now, especially on a 4yr old laptop!

Thanks again!

Back