Memory upgrade? need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffguy

My computer is really slow so im thinking of upgrading my 256mb RAM to 2 sticks of 512mb RAM. I found this one at newegg but im not sure if its very good. The item is here

also wats the difference between a ecc memory and a non ecc ?
thank you

You would need to post your motherboard specs/model and your current computer specs before we could say anything about that.

Moshambo

i already did that i need a pc2100 ddr sdram. Here is my computer info just in case:

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2666 MHz (20 x 133)
Motherboard Name MSI 661FM2-V (MS-7060) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 661FX
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type Award (08/10/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

[ Memory Modules / A0 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation A0
Type DIMM, SDRAM
Installed Size 256 MB
Enabled Size 256 MB

[ Memory Modules / A1 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation A1
Installed Size Not Installed
Enabled Size Not Installed

[ Memory Devices / A0 ]

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Type SDRAM
Type Detail Synchronous
Size 256 MB
Total Width 64-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator A0
Bank Locator Bank0/1
Manufacturer None
Serial Number None
Asset Tag None
Part Number None

[ Memory Devices / A1 ]

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Device Locator A1
Bank Locator Bank2/3
Manufacturer None
Serial Number None
Asset Tag None
Part Number None

ECC ram uses parity checking, is slower, and used in servers. Normal comps use non ecc ram.

There are 2 types of RAM - average and good. All RAM chips are manufactured by a single manufacturer anyway. PQI is probably average ...

Yes, if you wish.

Did you know that your motherboard supports DDR 400 memory? Check your motherboard manual or if you don't have it, check the downloadable one from the MSI website. That's what I just did. You should consider getting 2x512MB 184 pin DDR 400 (PC 3200) RAM instead of DDR 266 (PC 2100).

Corsair is an excellent brand and that is a good choice, IMO, especially for the money.

mailpup said:
Corsair is an excellent brand and that is a good choice, IMO, especially for the money.

If i get this my computer will go faster right? Can i run my games without it lagging out?

Sort of. There is more to it than that. The new RAM will certainly help enable your PC to run high end games and now it won't be a bottleneck but your graphics card will have the most influence. What is it and what games are you playing?

Well when i play counter strike 1.6 or cz i always get timed out and it when i play it lags like the first 15 minutes then the lagg goes and comes back. My latency goes 2000+. I dont have a v card i have a sisfx interegated 16mb =(So im concerned if i should either buy a v card like the nvodia fx5500 or that 1 gig of RAM

Your RAM is low and needs to be upgraded for games but between the two, you need a better graphics card first (IMO). Fortunately, you have an AGP slot.

I have an agp? I see 3 slots and 2 are taken and theres 1 more under those 2 and there anotther sloton top of those white slots but its like more in the mother board ill try to get a picture of the mobo so you can see.

But if i get a grapghics card will that increase my computer speed?

it's not what i would hope to buy.....go for a 3200 from kingmax or kingstone....or get a turbo pqi
3200 means it has 400 mhz ....and get 2x256 if you have dual channel

My budget is 70 bucks what agp card should i get? How will i get my monitor wire pluged in the card when the card is inside my computer that far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back