Intel 15th-gen Core Arrow Lake socket will require DDR5 RAM and possibly last until 2026

Daniel Sims

Staff
Rumor mill: Intel hasn't confirmed much regarding its upcoming 15th-generation processors, but leaks and rumors over the last few weeks offer a tantalizing picture of significant performance gains. The latest information suggests the company is finally ready to put DDR4 RAM in the rearview mirror.

The LGA-1851 socket platform, used for Intel's upcoming Arrow Lake CPUs, will only support DDR5 RAM, according to prolific leaker Momomo. If valid, it would mark the completion of the company's transition to the next stage of system RAM configurations, which has lagged behind AMD's switch.

Intel's current LGA-1700 socket – used for Alder Lake, Raptor Lake, and the upcoming Raptor Lake refresh processors – lets builders choose between cheaper DDR4 or faster DDR5 memory. A primary advantage of the backward compatibility is that many users have older DDR4 sticks, which they can move to newer LGA-1700 motherboards while waiting for DDR5 prices to come down.

Meanwhile, AMD's current Zen 4 CPUs and accompanying AM5 socket abruptly cut DDR4 support without an interval of dual compatibility. The additional requirement to buy expensive new DDR5 RAM could be behind Zen 4's slow sales.

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger previously announced plans to launch Arrow Lake in 2024. Momomo confirms they will arrive in the second half of next year. It's unclear how much DDR5 RAM prices will have fallen by then.

Furthermore, another leaker, Leaf_hobby, said Intel will ship CPUs using LGA-1851 through 2026. Compared to Raptor Lake, the 15th-gen CPUs will have 3MB of L2 cache per core with a dedicated L3 cache for the GPU tile. The change could provide a significant boost to gaming performance.

Information from other sources also suggests a leap in performance for Arrow Lake. Its flagship i9 model's integrated GPU scored 200 percent above its Raptor Lake counterpart in 3DMark and 20 percent higher in Geekbench's multi-core benchmark.

However, before Arrow Lake arrives, Intel intends to launch a refresh of Raptor Lake later this year, which should offer a much tinier improvement. For Raptor Lake owners, it might be worth waiting and saving for a new Arrow Lake system with DDR5 RAM next year, while the refresh might be a worthwhile cheap upgrade for those still holding onto Alder Lake processors.

Permalink to story.

Don't think the ram issue is a big deal anymore. DDR5 has gotten cheap enough and fast enough to compete with the best DDR4, ita time to out DDR4 to bed
I got 32 gb for over 200 bucks not long ago. Now I can get exact set for 100. A lot of people are jumping from 5600mhz to 7000 or 8000 now

Intel got sick or something? 3 CPU gens on a single socket?
I wonder if the new socket LGA-1851 will have the same bending issues as 1700 did :)

Intel got sick or something? 3 CPU gens on a single socket?
I wonder if the new socket LGA-1851 will have the same bending issues as 1700 did :)
Well am4 was good for what, Zen + Zen 2 and Zen 3 on the same motherboards? Is one of those practices intel was forced to change for the better.

I got 32 gb for over 200 bucks not long ago. Now I can get exact set for 100. A lot of people are jumping from 5600mhz to 7000 or 8000 now

I've been eyeing some 32GB for DDR4 for a while now at my local Micro Center. When I first looked at it, it was priced at $84.99 about 6 months ago and it's slowly dropping in price, it is now at $59.99. I need to get my sorry butt out there and get it before prices "magically" jump up.

Need to pick up a 2.5" SSD for my server, too, while I'm out there. Get the OS off the slow spin drive it's using now.

I've been eyeing some 32GB for DDR4 for a while now at my local Micro Center. When I first looked at it, it was priced at $84.99 about 6 months ago and it's slowly dropping in price, it is now at $59.99. I need to get my sorry butt out there and get it before prices "magically" jump up.
The price of RAM tends to go up when it becomes "a replacement part", instead of a "builders item". So, DDR-4 is (ostensibly), approaching that point.

I just "found" a 16 GB kit (2 x 8 GB), for my "new build". (I thought it was the empty box that the installed 16 GB RAM came in, then I come to look and it's full). That was bought well over a year ago, and I think I paid only about $35.00 for it then. It's stock RAM though, Corsair "Vengence", PC-3200.
Need to pick up a 2.5" SSD for my server, too, while I'm out there. Get the OS off the slow spin drive it's using now.
Funny story: I have a home security recorder. (My 2nd)
The first one burned up a 640 GB WD "black", which took out the board's SATA driver chip as well.
The one I'm using now trashed one of the new Seagate, "Saturday night specials", 2 TB single platter $50.00 junk. SMR trash.
So, I stuffed the cheapest "TeamGroup" 512 MB SATA 2 1/2" SSDs in it I could find. Oddly enough, the record light has been blinking steadily for a least 6 months now. I certainly wasn't expecting it to last that long, but there it is.

Last edited:
Back