TechSpot

Memory upgrade question in Gateway Laptop

By djdiabolo3
Oct 27, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello All,

I was wondering if you could help me out here. I recently purchased a Gateway MX6124 laptop and would like to upgrade the memory from 512mb(2x256) to 2Gb (2x1Gb). My question lies in what kind of memory i can use.

Here are some of the details straight from Gateway:

Memory Size 256 MB
    Memory Type JEDEC 200-pin DDR-SODIMM
    Package 200-pin SODIMM, 1.27-inch height
    Speed 533 MHz
    Supply Voltage 2.5 V
    Parity Support No parity bit supported

I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade my ram to ddr2-sodimm. REason being is because i found a cheaper stick of ddr2 1gb memory on newegg. Also, it also says that the memory is dual channel. If i order two of the same models of memory, would that be ok? Please help me, i'm quite confused.

Oh, by the way, here is the link to the memory that i am currently looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208312
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

ddr2? naw, you've got to stick with whatever your laptop supports. oem builds are generally picky about thier ram timings, so try and puirchase ram with identical timings. i advise running cpu-z to check your timings.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.