Memory utilization question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help please.
I am a little confused about using some misc parts I have, trying to help another computer work better. I have a memory stick, 3200mhz that I was thinking might work in a computer with 2100mhz sticks in place. I think I can add it but that it will only work at the lower setting (i.e. 2100) . Am I on the right track or not?
van
hmmm my mistake, should be PC3200ddr and pc2100ddr I know they don't have the same speed etc, but think that the 3200 might work in the 2100, but internally converting to the lower setting. dunno for sure though.

The easiest way to find out, is to look at or for the mobo manual. This will tell you what Ram speeds are supported. If the mobo doesn`t support pc3200 ram, then the ram will be downclocked to the highest speed the mobo supports.

Regards Howard :)

I think I read you saying that the 3200 would work, at the 2100 speed....provided of course all of the other criteria is ok. Is that right?
van

That is pretty much correct. Whatever the highest speed ram your mobo supports will be the clock speed the pc3200 will run at.

Example: If your mobo only supports pc2700 ram, then the pc3200 ram would be downclocked to pc2700 speeds.

What mobo do you have?

Thanks, that is about what I was thinking too... This board is a 2100, an older generation Sony.. working fine, just a little light on the memory side. I was thinking that I would use one of my 3200's (512) to add to what is already in that one, so it would be 1GB which would from all indications be adequate for all of the use it receives. It is one that my wife is using. I have checked the usage as indicated by the Task Manager, and it should be OK with the addition, as is is now is is basically running with a peak of about 750,000 peak use. Makes it kind of hard to stretch the 512 like that.
van

Just bear in mind, that mixing different brands/speeds of ram may yield unpredictable results.

It may work fine, but on the other hand it could cause stability problems.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back