Memory warranty, compatibility...

jsmileb

A few years back I purchased 4-1GB Kingston Value Ram sticks:

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR1066D3N7K2/2G

I used it on an Intel X38 board that was glitchy, finall gave up and swapped it on to an MSI X-48 board, with a Q6700 processor, that was glitchy so I scrapped the whole thing and did an I-5 build. Decided to revisit the Q6700 and the Kingston Ram and do a Home Theater build using an Intel DG43 RK.

The "tested ram" spec for that board calls for 1333, 1.5 volt, non ECC ram. However when I go on the Kingston website and plug in that motherboard, it specifies the 1066 ram.

If I plug in the 2-2GB sticks of 1333 that I use in the I-5 build everything works fine. But when I plug in the 1066 ram, 2 of the 1GB sticks are accepted by the motherboard and two are rejected with the 3-beep code. When I was running this ram on the previous motherboards, they were always glitchy, beep codes at startup, lock-ups. I must have run Memtest86 100 times and always showed no errors.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look for the problem? Ram always says "limited lifetime warranty" but when I have run Memtest86 in the past, it shows no problems. Does anyone have any suggestions about warranty replacement? I think that will be a waste of time.

Compare the votages and timings in BIOS against the designed specs of the RAM. Do they match?

According to the Kingston site as well as the Intel technical specs on your motherboard it looks like that memory should work in the DG43 RK. Kingston site says lifetime warranty and it has a history of being glitchy. I'd take a shot at getting an RMA from Kingston to see if they'll replace it ... nothing to lose except shipping. Used the following two links, all looks kosher to me.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...43RK+Motherboard&distributor=0&submit1=Search

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18711/eng/DG43RK_TechProdSpec.pdf

Thanks for suggestions.

Route44: I checked the voltge rating, both sets of ram specify 1.5 Volt. The 1333 Ram shows a Cas latency of 9, versus 7 for the 1066. But why two of 1066 sticks would be accepted by the BIOS and why two of the sticks would not eludes me.

Mizzou: I have been on both those pages looking for some kind of clue, to no avail. I think I will try and resolve with Kingston.

It could be your motherboard. What are the parameters set for your motherboard in terms of memory configuration and specs?

Route44, when I install the RAM, I only populate Channel A DIMM 0 to open the BIOS per Intel. I have not even started to install the OS. As previously mentioned, two of the sticks work, two do not. The BIOS reads the installed stick correctly, speed, size, latency, etc. Intel specifies DIMM A-0 and B-0 should be populated with like size memory modules. I presently have that configuration installed with the two sticks that I tested positively, and individually. That config works fine, but I'd like to have 4GB rather than just 2, and as soon as I start adding the other two sticks in A-1, or A-1 and B-1, I get the error code beeps indicating memory fault.

Back