Memtest86+ test results... advice?

By jstluise
Sep 23, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I was given an old desktop from a place I work because it no longer worked and it was time for them to upgrade anyways. It was easy to determine that the only problem was the HDD was corrupted. I have a new HDD I am going to install but I wanted to check the RAM, since that may have caused the corruption.

With all 4 modules installed (2 x 1gb, 2 x 256mb), I ran Memtest 4.10. There was an error on the first pass, zero errors on the second pass. I ran Memtest on each module individually to determine the faulty stick, but all passed on at least two passes....I was hoping the faulty stick would show up.

I reinstalled ALL sticks and have been running Memtest for the last 24 errors on 14 passes.

Stupid me for not writing down the first error I received. I'd like to figure out if something is wrong before I go forward and start using the computer. What would you guys do in this case? If I knew what module initially caused the error, I'd automatically replace it....but I only know it was one of the four.
  2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,433   +143

In that case, I find it likely that there is nothing wrong despite the previous error.
  3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

There can be false positives with Memtest86+; IMHO, try running a high-stress benchmark for some time and see if you get any BSODs etc.
  4. Napigator

Napigator TS Rookie

If you can tweak the ram settings, try to increase the speed or lower the latency's a little at a time and run memtest again after each tweak. In this way you can find the weakest chip.
    However, I somewhat agree with the others that the ram is probably ok to use as is with that few of errors.
  5. jstluise

jstluise TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

Thanks everyone for the replies. I let the test continue to run and I did come up with another error on pass 23:

Tst: 6
    Pass: 23
    Failing Address: 0008c7d5234 - 2247.8MB
    Good: 00000010
    Bad: 04000010
    Err-Bits: 04000000
    Count: 1

I did notice the "good" and "bad" were different from the original error...but that is all I remember. Is there any way I can tell what module caused the error (from this error info)? I shut the test down after 29 passes...should I just ignore these two errors I found in 32 passes?

Other info on the system from Memtest screen...

Pentium 4 (0.09) 2993 MHz
    L1 Cache: 16K 18940 MB/s
    L2 Cache: 1024K 16718 MB/s
    L3 Cache: None
    Memory: 2543M 1159 MB/s
    Chipset: Intel i848/i865 (ECC: Disabled) - FSB: 199MHz - Pat: Disabled
    Settings: RAM: 159 MHz (DDR319) / CAS: 2.5-3-3-7 / Single Channel (64 bits)
  6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

To know which module is responsible, the only way is to run the test on each module individually.