Merging partitions

T

tifc8lraz

Hello TechSpot!

I just purchased an ASUS N56V notebook from a local computer store. When I set it up and first logged into Windows, I noticed that the HDD was split into three: a 279gb "OS" partition, an empty 393gb "Data" partition, and a 25gb "Recovery" partition.

I have been researching ways to "merge" the OS and Data partitions together (namely by deleting the Data partition and extending the OS partition), but I have not been successful in finding ways to accomplish this without having to delete the recovery partition, which I'm trying to avoid doing. Is it possible to do this?

I have attached an image of the Disk Management tab of the Computer Management utility.

Thanks for any responses!

Attachments

• DiskManagement.png
    DiskManagement.png
    230.6 KB · Views: 8
If thats Windows 7 I'm pretty sure you can just delete D and then "expand" C into the free space. It shouldn't mess with the recovery partition.

If thats Windows 7 I'm pretty sure you can just delete D and then "expand" C into the free space. It shouldn't mess with the recovery partition.

That worked! Now I feel a bit stupid :p . When I was doing research on how to do this, every single post said that the disk management utility won't extend a partition if there is another partition after the free space.

Yeah, I don't think you could do it even in Vista and I know you couldn't in XP or prior. So if people hadn't actually done it themselves in 7 they probably just figured you had to use a 3rd party tool like 'always'. Its understandable.

That worked! Now I feel a bit stupid :p . When I was doing research on how to do this, every single post said that the disk management utility won't extend a partition if there is another partition after the free space.
Don't feel bad. And per SNGX's post, I never knew you could do it in Win 7 either without a 3rd party tool.

So thanks to you both for learning something new :)

Back