TechSpot

Merging partitions

By cfitzarl
Jul 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello TechSpot!

I just purchased an ASUS N56V notebook from a local computer store. When I set it up and first logged into Windows, I noticed that the HDD was split into three: a 279gb "OS" partition, an empty 393gb "Data" partition, and a 25gb "Recovery" partition.

I have been researching ways to "merge" the OS and Data partitions together (namely by deleting the Data partition and extending the OS partition), but I have not been successful in finding ways to accomplish this without having to delete the recovery partition, which I'm trying to avoid doing. Is it possible to do this?

I have attached an image of the Disk Management tab of the Computer Management utility.

Thanks for any responses!

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,374   +167

I think Tmagic is referring to Easus Partition Manager Home Edition (is free) http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

You can delete your D partition, then resize C to take up all that free disk space. Note you have to hit the Apply button before Easus starts to make any physical changes to the disk.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

If thats Windows 7 I'm pretty sure you can just delete D and then "expand" C into the free space. It shouldn't mess with the recovery partition.

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

Yes, that's it... And on laptops out of warranty I delete the recovery partition too

6. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,520   +9

That worked! Now I feel a bit stupid :p . When I was doing research on how to do this, every single post said that the disk management utility won't extend a partition if there is another partition after the free space.

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

Yeah, I don't think you could do it even in Vista and I know you couldn't in XP or prior. So if people hadn't actually done it themselves in 7 they probably just figured you had to use a 3rd party tool like 'always'. Its understandable.

8. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,374   +167

Don't feel bad. And per SNGX's post, I never knew you could do it in Win 7 either without a 3rd party tool.

So thanks to you both for learning something new :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.