Merging XP and linux partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have XP and linux partitions on my hard drive (20GB HDD partitioned into 12GB XP; 8GB linux) and I want to delete the linux partition i.e. I just want to use XP, remove the partition on my hard disk and give the space occupied by linux to XP. Could anyone pl. tell me how to do it? I have Partition Magic 7.

Just delete the linux partition, and then resize the NTFS one.... Surely you can do that?

Partition Magic is pretty intuitive, so just fire it up and have a look. If you've managed to create a dual boot system on your PC, you should have no problem operating partition magic.

PM7 won't resize NTFS partitions. You can just reformat the linux partition as NTFS or FAT32 and you have a new drive to use. Also, you can just get Partition Magic 8, that does know how to resize NTFS.

Oh! I didn't know that!

However, you can create another NTFS partition with the remaining space in Windows 2000/XP disk administrator, and then join it onto the rest of the first drive letter's space. It will be a seperate partition, but that will be otherwise transparent, and you will wind up with a bigger C: drive or whatever, because BOTH partitions will be C: drive.

You may have to convert to a dynamic disk to do this, but that doesn't involve any reformatting or data loss, and it can be reverted back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back