TechSpot

merging XP and linux partition

By fd97207
Sep 26, 2003
  1. I have XP and linux partitions on my hard drive (20GB HDD partitioned into 12GB XP; 8GB linux) and I want to delete the linux partition i.e. I just want to use XP, remove the partition on my hard disk and give the space occupied by linux to XP. Could anyone pl. tell me how to do it? I have Partition Magic 7.

2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Just delete the linux partition, and then resize the NTFS one.... Surely you can do that?

Partition Magic is pretty intuitive, so just fire it up and have a look. If you've managed to create a dual boot system on your PC, you should have no problem operating partition magic.

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

PM7 won't resize NTFS partitions. You can just reformat the linux partition as NTFS or FAT32 and you have a new drive to use. Also, you can just get Partition Magic 8, that does know how to resize NTFS.

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Oh! I didn't know that!

However, you can create another NTFS partition with the remaining space in Windows 2000/XP disk administrator, and then join it onto the rest of the first drive letter's space. It will be a seperate partition, but that will be otherwise transparent, and you will wind up with a bigger C: drive or whatever, because BOTH partitions will be C: drive.

You may have to convert to a dynamic disk to do this, but that doesn't involve any reformatting or data loss, and it can be reverted back.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.