Messenger.exe/ net send

Neil010

Hello TechSpotians. I have a home network with about 3 computer connected all the time. I know you can send messeges through a network with the net send command in cmd.

But the problem is you can only do that in Windows XP. You could also send messages via the Messenger.exe on Windows 7 Ultimate, but I only have Home Premium. I need some help in doing this. Is there any other way to do this? Do any of you have a link or know where to download Messenger.exe?

Also, I found that on XP, both the computers must have the Messenger service running, which can be switched on in the administrative tools, but in Messenger.exe for Win. 7, the target computer shouldn't have the application running. Is that true?

Thank you so much.
Neil010

P.S. - I don't know whether I am correct or not (I most probably am)t, but could you use the ping command to send you own message somehow.

a) PING is a protocol (ICMP) and used for testing connectivity; ie: not user messages

b) Yes, the Messenger Srvc must be running everywhere, and assuming it is, then
it should be a firewall issue.

More interesting, how would one use net send into a Linux or Mac system?

from a Mac:
get the terminal program
  • smbclient -M $targetHost% -L
  • after the connection;
  • enter text msg < 1600 chars
  • <ctl>D to end and send the message

As smbclient is also a Linux program, I would expect that to work as well.

PS: allow port 1026 inbound on the subnet is required

i think messenger service was only on XP. But also be careful if you turn it on: messenger service was a HUGE exploit for spammers and bogus malware pop-ups. just google messenger service exploit. IDK if this might be why it was removed from Vista and W7

But i remembered the problem under XP is why i disabled mine

from a Mac:
get the terminal program
  • smbclient -M $targetHost% -L
  • after the connection;
  • enter text msg < 1600 chars
  • <ctl>D to end and send the message

As smbclient is also a Linux program, I would expect that to work as well.

PS: allow port 1026 inbound on the subnet is required

Thank you for the help Sir. But I have never used a Mac or Linux and don't know much about them. Also, all the computers on my home network have the Windows OS.

I actually read on the internet that on Windows 7 Ulitimate, you have this Messenger.exe, a substitute for net send on Win. XP. Also, the target computer, does not need the application running. This sounds kind of absurd so I was just asking.

Back