TechSpot

Metal Gear dev talks about a platform-free future for gaming

By Jos
Apr 8, 2010
  1. We've heard countless times about the PC nearing its inevitable demise as a gaming platform, citing how weak sales and piracy have forced developers to focus almost exclusively on consoles. While I don't particularly agree with that notion, it's true that the market is evolving and the future of gaming may look quite different a few years down the road than it does today. If you take Hideo Kojima's word for it, it is closed platforms in general that are set to die a quick death.

Read the whole story

2. Computers will always give the user a far more better experience when playing games than any of the 3 current gen consoles can offer. I see the potential in what he is saying but I highly doubt that it will come anytime soon.

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,388   +425

"platform-agnostic software"

Now there's a buzz word for ya!

I tend to agree that platform free gaming is the wave of the future. But not for a while due to technology and band-width limitations. Probably not until after the next generation of consoles have come and gone.

4. I think Mr. Kojima is speaking based on the trend in Japan, but definitely not for the rest of the Gaming World. Just give us a MGS 5 and quit prophesying!

5. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

he's right, but out of his time ;) ... this may be the case in a not so near, yet no so very far future, but i'll always prefer disc based, physical media just for the sake of touching it.

when this will be a reality, it will also mean cheaper games, but i think i'll be long gone :p

cheers!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.