TechSpot

Metal Gear dev talks about a platform-free future for gaming

By Jos
Apr 8, 2010
  1. We've heard countless times about the PC nearing its inevitable demise as a gaming platform, citing how weak sales and piracy have forced developers to focus almost exclusively on consoles. While I don't particularly agree with that notion, it's true that the market is evolving and the future of gaming may look quite different a few years down the road than it does today. If you take Hideo Kojima's word for it, it is closed platforms in general that are set to die a quick death.

Read the whole story

2. Computers will always give the user a far more better experience when playing games than any of the 3 current gen consoles can offer. I see the potential in what he is saying but I highly doubt that it will come anytime soon.

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,528   +567

"platform-agnostic software"

Now there's a buzz word for ya!

I tend to agree that platform free gaming is the wave of the future. But not for a while due to technology and band-width limitations. Probably not until after the next generation of consoles have come and gone.

4. I think Mr. Kojima is speaking based on the trend in Japan, but definitely not for the rest of the Gaming World. Just give us a MGS 5 and quit prophesying!

5. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

he's right, but out of his time ;) ... this may be the case in a not so near, yet no so very far future, but i'll always prefer disc based, physical media just for the sake of touching it.

when this will be a reality, it will also mean cheaper games, but i think i'll be long gone :p

cheers!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.