Metro Exodus PC Graphics Benchmark

My 9 year old i7 980 xe @ 4.3 ghz still gpu bound at 3440x1440 at extreme settings with advanced physx hairworks and tesselation getting 60 fps with 1080ti ftw3.
This is the one title I'll have to revisit when raytracing hardware becomes more palpable.

So if you have a 144Hz monitor even with a 2080 Ti you won't be able to run it perfectly.

Nvidia title aka "Every card not made by Nvidia in the last 3 years gets it nuts kicked in including older Nvidia cards"

Kepler is laughably bad once again.

1440p, my resolution. 2080 with preinstalled waterblock: ~900plus tax.
Used 1080ti with waterblock: 600 plus tax
Almost the same FPS
About $350 difference

Where did Nvidia go wrong?

We got into the situation where huge amount of potential buyers see that a used 1080ti is the best buy for performance/price. And after 1080ti, many more cheaper 10xx models to replace the rest of 20xx for much lower price.

Imagine paying $700 for a GPU (2080) and getting 45FPS on your 4K monitor.
Yikes....that 4A engine takes no prisoners.

Imagine paying $700 for a GPU (2080) and getting 45FPS on your 4K monitor.
Yikes....that 4A engine takes no prisoners.

You mean the same 4A engine giving you 30FPS at 1080p on a PS4? It's more like the add-on eye candy very few people will ever notice place a heavy burden on your GPU but hey Nvidia (and AMD) needs all of you to move on from GTX 960s, 970s and 980s.

My 9 year old i7 980 xe @ 4.3 ghz still gpu bound at 3440x1440 at extreme settings with advanced physx hairworks and tesselation getting 60 fps with 1080ti ftw3.
This is the one title I'll have to revisit when raytracing hardware becomes more palpable.
is it really though ? I mean its a 9 years old CPU

The consensus of multiple reviews of Metro Exodus is that the ray tracing is unconvincing and not a proven positive experience. Even your colleague of Hardware Unboxed differs with your positive assessment of ray tracing and even more so about DLSS in this game. My own view is that DLSS is a b.s. technology that Nvidia designed to try to cover up the reality that there hardware is unable to perform at an acceptable rate with ray tracing. So they jack up the refresh rate by ignoring native resolution rasterization by using an inadequately developed and powered A.I. to fill in the pixels with so-called educated guesses. The results have multiple artifacts and generally look like a translucent mask is filtering the data. It is wholly unacceptable and clearly represents inaccuracies in the A.I. and degradation of image quality. It is actually more accurate and just as fast to run instead of these 4k simulations native resolution of at 1800P to get a real data instead of a poorly-conceived A.I. fake.

Steve, love the review as always. It would be nice to see some of the older, higher performing Maxwell, Polaris, and Fuji GPUs in a 1440p balanced graph, instead of running them with similar performing Polaris and Maxwell cards on so many tests.

I feel like it would save alot of benchmarking work while adding something new and simplifying the graphs.

I've heard nothing but positive about the ray tracing in this game - especially in the outdoor areas. I won't be getting the game till at least 2020 and maybe by then I'll have some RTX capable hardware.

1440p, my resolution. 2080 with preinstalled waterblock: ~900plus tax.
Used 1080ti with waterblock: 600 plus tax
Almost the same FPS
About $350 difference

Where did Nvidia go wrong?

We got into the situation where huge amount of potential buyers see that a used 1080ti is the best buy for performance/price. And after 1080ti, many more cheaper 10xx models to replace the rest of 20xx for much lower price.
It is more aptly put " Where did I go wrong? ". You trusted a monopoly firm and trusted Jensen Wong, a chronic liar. I have been laughing at you guys for months now. This was all so predictable.

As the owner of GTX 670 (overclocked to match 680), I'm curious about Kepler results in this game. When GTX 750Ti Maxwell being several times faster than GTX 760, and even faster than GTX 770, I'm asking myself is it the game or Nvidia efforts? Time to recall poor Kepler performance in RE2 remake.

Back