TechSpot

Metro: Last Light calls for GTX Titan to have an 'optimum' experience

By Matthew
Apr 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. If you plan to play Metro: Last Light with eye-candy liberally applied, you'll probably want to check your expectations at the door unless you have a fairly solid rig. Publisher Deep Silver has announced the various degrees of system specifications...

Read more
  2. "Can it play Metro?" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "Can it play Crysis?"
  3. Zeromus

Zeromus TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

No video is showing up!
  4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,421   +217

Maybe you need a Titan to play the video.
  5. Bahahahahahahahahaah epic
    hammer2085 likes this.
  6. This game will be 20 bucks in 3 months!

that is when I get it :)
  7. Critica1Hit

Critica1Hit Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

LOL this is it, from now on is: "Maybe you need a Titan to [do X]"

Thanks Metro, you're still not here yet I know you won't be forgotten...
  8. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,052   +84 Staff Member

Nice one mailpup :). The video should be fixed guys, thanks.
  9. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,869   +889

Ok... you need a Titan to play this yet the game still supports Windows XP... let's get real here.
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  10. freythman

freythman TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 124   +10

Looks like my new machine is already obsolete!
  11. MrBungle

MrBungle TechSpot Booster Posts: 148   +64

I wonder what resolution that recommendation is for?

I just bought a second 680 to get ready for this game... hopefully I don't need 3 for 2560x1440.

12. JC713

If it is 60 Hz I think you will be fine. Turning down AA to lower levels wouldnt hurt since it is memory sucking eye candy that isnt even necessary. Games look great at 4x AA.
  13. Footlong

Footlong Newcomer, in training Posts: 21

GPU marketing: where poorly optmized games try to sell overpriced GPU. Anyone played the original, I did and let me tell you that game is not that pretty to require soo much gpu power.
    prismatics, hammer2085 and St1ckM4n like this.
  14. Zeromus

Zeromus TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

Nvm it's working. Because I got the Titan ;)
  15. Nice... then they blame piracy for low sales...
  16. MrBungle

Nah, its not poor optimization its using polygons where most games use textures, soft-shadows, smoke, particle effects, etc... Very expensive on the processing side but refreshing to see someone push the envelope.

Personally I'm happy to see games that bring high-end rigs to their knees, graphics have be pretty much stagnant for far too long.
  17. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

If it's sucking down memory, 16gb of ram couldn't hurt. That's how I got BF3 to start working with triple screen setup using sli 680s.
  18. MrBungle

Already running 16GB of RAM.
  19. Ill bet my entire computer I can turn shadows aa and vsync off and still be able to run this fine on my hd7770 ghz edition. lol
  20. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,452   +620

Negative. My GTX295 at 1920x1080 lagged on Medium. Inside a tunnel. Metro 2033 was a terribly optimised game, fact.

Posting optimum specs of a Titan is all well and nice to get the hype machine rolling, but they have a lot of work to do to make it optimised and actually worthy of the Titan. Heck, they don't mention resolution even.

I'm all for hardcore games that push your rig, but they need to be properly coded to begin with.
  21. JC713

RAM is different from the GDDR5 on the GPU. I guess it was chance that that is what helped you. RAM isnt shared with the GPU.
    Burty117 and baN893 like this.
  22. baN893

baN893 TechSpot Member Posts: 82   +10

Mhm, I was going to point out the same thing. On another note, really excited for this game.
  23. soldier1969

soldier1969 TechSpot Booster Posts: 244   +43

2 x 4gb 680s SLI @ 2560 x 1600, 512GB SSD, 16gb ram, I should be ok. Will see...
  24. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,452   +620

You should just put that in your sig. 80% of your posts contain it.
  25. MrBungle

The 295 came out in 2009... thats like 6 decades in computer years. ;)

Bad coding is when you have a rig that has 6 or 8 threads available with one pegged the rest idle and the game lagging to death. (see Empire Earth II or Supreme Commander) Just because you don't notice all the little things that the graphics engine is doing on the screen doesn't mean that its badly coded. There are some pretty complex graphical effects going on in metro 2033 and likely more in last light. Much of that graphical flare is hidden because the game is very dark, however just because its not visible doesn't mean that the GPU isn't rendering it. I see a lot of people accusing devs of "bad code" in numerous forums all over the web and I would be willing to bet that half of them don't even know what a compiler is.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.