Metro: Last Light Review

By Julio Franco
May 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

I've been playing this game on ranger hardcore for the better half of the night. Without any HUD and at a very hard difficulty, this game is truly immersive. Several times I'd jump half out of my chair when I'd go around a corner. Not having a HUD is annoying in that you have absolutely no idea how much ammo you have unless you have the Bastard that shows the ammo. I pulled out my sniper rifle only to find out I had one single bullet when there were two enemies. On a side note: I lost that confrontation

As far as performance goes, the sli profile hasn't been released so I'm stuck with a single gtx 680 with a 3770k @ 5ghz and I'm pulling 40-45 fps on normal settings on 5970x1080 with tessellation set to normal. I've never experienced any of those weird crashes that the reviewer experienced but this game looks beautiful even at moderate settings. I can't wait until nvidia releases the sli profile so I can crank this to highest settings.
  2. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,241   +125

Beta driver 320.14 is out and gives a 10% increase in performance. Sli seems to be working for me.

Edit: Sli seems to be running at 70/80% usage on both GPUS.
  3. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 692   +209

"The whispers of the dead will call out to you, and scenes of horror and beauty will float up from the past, almost as though the city is still crying out in agony."

This game feature was old five years ago. Does every other game need to have "ghost movies"? Beyond tired of it.
  4. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

I have the beta drivers but my cards only work at 50% apiece. It's rather annoying.
    I believe you are referencing the usage of flashbacks of horror like in Doom 3. This game does similar things but I have no quarrel with the game. It's actually really fun and does survival horror perfectly.
  5. tehbanz

tehbanz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

To quote the great claypool "That's just a matter of opinion" I think metro does it soooo well too, it's totally not forced and blends in with the atmosphere.
  6. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

A note about the card frying. Metro's game engine is known to heat up the VRM modules. in fact Metro 2033 is actually my go to game test to test after market GPU heatsink performance on VRM. most games will heat up those suckers up to 85c + but with metro game engine it goes beyond 100c. VRM chips have a maximum safe operating temperature of 120c, but depending on machine environment and airflow, it's not hard to reach that. it's an easily overlooked issue since most people tend to focus on GPU temp, but GPU thermal can be throttled down by driver. there's nothing stopping VRM. VRM is what can really fry your card. I have a very highly clocked 7950 that I run 24/7 at 1200mhz core and 1600mhz memory. with the stock dinky cooler VRM would easily reach 90+ and 100 in Metro 2033. after slapping on a nice arctic cooling heatsink which covers all the major components VRM never gone beyond 80 in Metro and 70 in regular other games.
  7. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,797   +882

This game looks awesome. Too bad my PC cant handle it.
  8. JC713

Is TS gonna benchmark this game?
  9. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,284   +262

I'm 90% sure Steve is working on that ;)
    ghasmanjr likes this.
  10. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

I say the same about a bunch of the good games coming out :(
    It's a terrible feeling xD
    JC713 likes this.

11. JC713

Yeah. It truly is.
  12. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 6,520   +311

We are waiting for AMD drivers that work well with it. The rest of the testing is almost done :)
  13. JC713

Wow AMD has to pick up their game.
  14. Techspot recently MLL amd patch is been released which improves perf on amd cards on this nv sponsored game..plz try to bench with it
  15. Wait a second.... are you telling me a Radeon 6870 does not run the game as a smooth as a 660TI, you do know the 660TI is stronger than a regular Radeon 7870 right?, Why on earth would you blame the lower frames you get on your machine with the Radeon 6870 on the AMD drivers?.
    Amd probably needs to work on those drivers, there is no doubt about that but don't you think you are being a little unfair here?
  16. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,428   +618

I wonder if it's as poorly optimised at #1.
  17. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 6,520   +311

Performance review is coming Tuesday morning.
  18. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 825   +212

I am going through this game now and I love it.
  19. LNCPapa

I'll have to get it when it drops to $5. I haven't even had time to play through the first Metro game yet.
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  20. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,428   +618

Ha, likewise. :D Although I have 5+ free copies of it floating around.
  21. LNCPapa

I lied! I bought it when it dropped to $10. Maybe I'll crank it up one day and check it out.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.