Mic isn't working after upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate

ribbs

So my original HD died on my Gateway835 Gm. The OS on that HD was XP and everything worked fine. A friend of mine got me a new HD and installed Windows7 ultimate on it. Everything so far is fine except for my audio. Sound on audio is fine(In my front jack), However my mic won't pick up. On my rear jack neither sound or my mic will pick up. Anyone have or had this problem? thanks forany help.

ribbs

Windows 7 comes with generic audio drivers. Check if you're running generic driver or you have the vendor specific drivers installed for your hardware.

Open Device Manager, look for your sound card. Right click Properties then Driver tab. If the provider is Microsoft you're running generic drivers. Try installing the hardware specific drivers for your sound card

I uninstalled the microsoft drivers. Restarted pc and windows reinstalled them. I tried to browse computer to install the realtek drivers I downloaded and when I tried it said I currently have the best drivers available. It says High Definition Audio and it is by Microsoft. Do I need to disable before uninstalling or what? im clueless lol

I'd go to the drivers page on gateway and download the appropriate audio driver for you hardware. Install using the setup file and leave the Microsoft driver alone. If that does not work go to the realtek website and download the latest audio driver.

Also are you sure the audio chip is from realtek? Never hurts to be sure :)

Anyways here is the link to the realtek drivers you can try

http://www.filehippo.com/download_realtek_high_definition_audio/

Download the appropriate driver such as 64 bit if your windows installation is 64 bit. The Vista 64 file name works on Windows 7 btw. Good luck!

So I still can't get mic to work.. but now my sounds is jacked up as well. Had the same guy that installed the new HD and OS come and try to get my mic workin and now my sound just sounds something like a dial up that is connecting or like ur in the matrix or some **** hell I dunno lol(thats the best way I can describe it).

Any Ideas? I know he installed Intel Audio Studio( which I had on the PC when I had XP) and after that now my sound is screwed. Also I muted the intel audio studio and cant get it unmuted lol...

thanks for any help/advice

You may have to install a 3rd party Windows 7 compatible sound card, if this PC is not a laptop. This is common with upgrading to Windows 7 from XP

List any Problem Devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Back