'Micro computer' to a regular case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to buy another case.. i'm not exactly happy with the one my Aspire X1200 came with. Inadequate power supply/room for vid card. It's a low-end computer and i'm simply going to make do with it.

Are there any problems in doing this? Anything that would make it 'impossible' or something like that? Any tips?

I'm not exactly certain what you mean by the title. Anyway, here's the answer to the question I think you asked.

But, there are 2 different spec boards in common use. ATX which is about 12 x 9.6 inches, and Matx (M= micro) @ about 9.6 x 9.6 (some Matx boards are a bit smaller).

Matx boards mount on the same bolt pattern as ATX, but due to the smaller size, they only use about 2/3rds of the holes.

So, both ATX & Matx will fit in an ATX size case. But ATX will NOT fit in a case designed for Matx boards.

I'm not exactly certain what you mean by the title. Anyway, here's the answer to the question I think you asked.

But, there are 2 different spec boards in common use. ATX which is about 12 x 9.6 inches, and Matx (M= micro) @ about 9.6 x 9.6 (some Matx boards are a bit smaller).

Matx boards mount on the same bolt pattern as ATX, but due to the smaller size, they only use about 2/3rds of the holes.

So, both ATX & Matx will fit in an ATX size case. But ATX will NOT fit in a case designed for Matx boards.

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.. simply wasn't quite sure how to say it. So just looking at its dimensions (10.6 x 4.0 x 14.4 inches).. is there anything else I should know? It seems to be right in between the Matx and the ATX.. It seems like you're saying that Matx can fit into ATX.. which is absolutely what I want.

So the answer to my question.. would be yes.. it is possible to do this. Right?

(10.6 x 4.0 x 14.4 inches)

OK, what I think you're trying to do is transfer the components of your computer to a larger case, is that correct?

Well, it seems I didn't get it quite right. With the measurements you quote, you're referring to the size of the CASE. That size case would be able to house only a Matx size board. You should be able to put that board into an "ATX" size.

Here's a link to show you the size case I mean; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147125

This isn't an endorsement of that particular case, I'm just showing you this one because it's representative of it's type. It's an "ATX Mid-Tower case". So, look at the pictures, and check the measurements.

One thing that you need to concern yourself with is, sometimes small computers have "proprietary" size motherboards, that might have non-standard sizes or bolt patterns.

Every machine is built out of other peoples parts, so on your OEM machine's website, you should be able to track down exactly what components are in it, then trace them to their manufacturer, who would have the size info you seek.

I have seriously considered the same thing for my 2 SFF machines.
Be a good way to increase the circulation and keep the heat down.

I have seriously considered the same thing for my 2 SFF machines.
Be a good way to increase the circulation and keep the heat down.

Besides.. good luck finding a quality SFF power supply for a decent price. I love the size of the case.. it's a nice, clean, fits anywhere.. it just doesn't circulate air at all.

captaincranky -- you got it right that time. Just trying to take my components and put them in a bigger case.. I just wanted to verify that my parts would fit. It's amazing how much they fit into that small case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back