Micron introduces C400 SSDs, first using 25nm process

Jos

Micron has announced a new line of solid-state drives that are the first to incorporate the company's 25nm NAND process. The RealSSD C400 drives, marketed under the Crucial brand, will be available in 1.8-inch and 2.5-inch form factors with capacities ranging from 64GB to 512GB. Like the RealSSD C300 before it, the new family of drives supports the 6GB/s SATA III interface while read and write speeds have been bumped up to 415MB/s and 260MB/s, respectively.

That’s a significant improvement over the read speeds of 355MB/s and write speeds of 215MB/s offered by it predecessor, though write speeds will vary depending on the model – for example, the 64GB variant maxes out at just 95MB/s. The company also touts other standard SSD features such as low power consumption (less than 80mW at idle and between 2.3-4.9W under load), lightweight construction, and resistance to shock and vibration.

Micron said that it's currently working with notebook manufacturers to bring the C400 SSDs into their product lines. Prices in 1,000 quantities will be $825 for 512GB, $425 for 256GB, $215 for 128GB, and $110 for 64GB. The drives will also be available for general consumers starting in March with similar pricing to the OEM versions.

Permalink to story.

damn, what did they use in the HDD laptop? the slowest that they could find? lulz

but, all seriousness.. SSD tech is pretty awesome.

inb4 still too pricey

Fail test that HDD is crap, even more crap than the normal crap of Laptob speeds, besides when are they gona stop making smaller crap and start making cheaper products?

Cota said:
Fail test that HDD is crap, even more crap than the normal crap of Laptob speeds, besides when are they gona stop making smaller crap and start making cheaper products?

The idea is that (in the long run) smaller NAND processes will mean cheaper products, in terms of storage density and efficiencies. You can put more into a smaller area, and usually draw less power, so it's typically a big win in the end. It's becoming a horse race in the SSD market, and the more production and competition we see, the better the bottom line will get for us consumers.

I want my Windows to boot up in 15 nanoseconds! After my motherboard takes 90 seconds to get through its BIOS.

Flash is just another commodity, like oil or gold or pork bellies, so prices between manufacturers are never going to vary that much. So all you're going to see in terms of competition is a fight between the controller makers to design faster and better featured chips. SSD prices are only to get cheaper in $/GB terms in the long term due to smaller and smaller nm processes, as well as supply and demand for flash in general. [/caption obvious]

3dcgmodeler said:
well I wish they would have a horse race when it comes to the prices...

They are already dramatically cheaper! I bought a 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 for $350 7 months ago.

Now you can get the same drive for $229 on newegg.

Back