Micron starts shipping 6Gbps Crucial RealSSD C300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Micron this week begun shipping what they claim is the "industry's fastest" solid-state drive. Sold under the Crucial brand, their new RealSSD C300 uses the SATA 6Gb/s and Open NAND Flash Interface (ONFI) 2.1 specifications, allowing it to deliver sequential read speeds of up to 355MB/s and sequential write speeds of up to 215MB/s. That's quite a bit faster than both Intel and OCZ's flagship products.

The RealSSD C300 is also backwards-compatible with the SATA 3Gb/s interface that most consumers are using today, where it supports maximum read and write speeds of 265MB/s and 215MB/s, respectively. The drives use high-speed synchronous MLC NAND flash memory, and will come in 1.8" and 2.5" form factors -- both of which will be available in 128GB and 256GB capacities.

Crucial is quoting a 1,000,000 hour MTBF rate for the drives and is backing them with a 3-year warranty. The only sticking point is the price, unsurprisingly. At either $799 for the 256GB version or $499 for 128GB, these aren't exactly a cheap upgrade, but if it's raw performance you are after then the Crucial RealSSD C300 will certainly deliver.

Permalink to story.

They actually started selling it on Monday and technically started "shipping" it on Tuesday.

SATA 6Gbps is what? About 750 MBps? It's a shame that these drives don't quite approach half that bandwidth. But OMG they have a lot of performance to offer for where they're at. It's good to see this massive leap in performance over mechanical drives. And the warranty on the drive is attractive. I wonder how long before the street price has the little drive under $200? I think closer to the dollar per GB value I, and probably many others, would be more than willing to actually purchase these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back