TechSpot

Microphone headset worked first day, now its not working at all

By Duton1
Jul 20, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I purchased a microphone headset from my local electronics store, it worked the first day i purchased it and now its not working anymore, it registers in the windows sound manager as working and it is the ONLY microphone recording device enabled when i went to test it again through a recording program (I.E. Audacity) Its recorded nothing but air, even when I had the microphone boosted and speaking at a louder tone than usual. Then I went into Team Fortress two to test it, and still nothing, even with the microphone enabled and settings at max. I was considering purchasing a new microphone but i do not want to waste extra resources if i find out the problem is fixable. I don't know the name of the microphone and my photos don't seem to be uploading... im sorry.

I am running Windows Vista. (Normal)

Has anyone else had this problem and or know how to fix it? or should i just get another microphone?
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,421   +217

Is it still new? I would return it to the store and exchange it for a new one.
  3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,366   +167

one other possible thing comes to mind.. a pitfall with mics i've seen with some Vista stuff that might apply (dunno.. but is easy to check)

Look under the Sound control Panel, Mic Properties. There's a box that by default allows an app to grab the mic for exclusive use. Uncheck that option! Reboot and try again.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.