Microphone make my voice sound different on my new laptop.Why?

Hello. I recently purchased a lenovo laptop and when i record my vocals on the audacity program it makes my voice sound like im singing into a hollow metal barrel. My old laptop never did this at all and i really need to fix it soon because i have songs that need to be recorded and edited by the 20th of this month. Im thinking that its the sound card but i didnt think it would make that much of a difference. if theres nothing to fix this i think im gunna have to return this laptop and get a different one. If anyone can help PLEAASSE HELP ME!

Just a couple of ideas which I hope will help.

From what you have described it sounds like you have the reverb too high. On the other hand if it is not that then you should check the laptop speakers are muted when recording.

My guess from your explanation is, well, it sounds like when you are recording, you also having the speakers up. The mic is taking up both sounds, and your voice from the speaker are delayed a tiny bit after you sings. So the audio file in your audacity program, is containing both sounds, creating what you called ''hollow metal barrel'' sound.

The best thing you can do imo, is to use closed headset when recording.

Back