Microphone not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptjoo

Hey all, First time posting here and i'm going to try to give as much information as i can.
My problem: I was googling on how to help my friend to fix his mic (weird ehh). Then all of a sudden my mic randomly stopped working.

Background: I have windows 7 64-bit. The microphone is plugged into the front mic jack (i've also tried the rear no luck). When i plug it in, under recording in "sound", Microphone FP goes from "not plugged in" to creative SB X-FI default device. I can scream at the top of my lungs and the green bars don't move.
I do not have an option for mic boost as some fixes suggested, the mic is NOT muted as far as i can tell. If i go to windows media player and turn the sound up all the way, then go to sound recording i can record music but it comes out very faint in the recording. Same goes for ventrilo, if i turn the sensitivity down to 0 to keep the mic on and i play music people can hear the music. I tried to do a restore point to an earlier day but that did not work either.

My thoughts:
It almost seems like it's making my speaker act as a mic of some sorts(sound still sounds as it normally does). I do not believe the microphone is broken but unfortunately i cannot test this theory.

Any help you guys could give me would be great. Any information you need just ask

Thanks

Not sure if this might be part of your problem.. [post=871493]Make sure you don’t allow an app to take exclusive use[/post]

Thanks for the tip, i just tried it with no positive results.

Any other tips i would greatly appreciate =)

Yup, i've tried the system restored. It did not seem to change any of the new settings i put on the mic to try to get it to work

"It did not seem to change any of the new settings i put on the mic to try to get it to work"...

I don't understand this, can you explain again and be a little clearer. English is not your primary language?

After the mic stopped working i went in to see if any mic settings were changed, and they were not ( at least none that i could explicitly see). So then i changed some settings around, plugged the mic into the rear of the comp, turned off options such as allowing programs to take exclusive control, etc..
When did the system restore, none of these settings were affected, and the mic still did not work.

Weird problem indeed!

You could also try uninstalling/reinstalling the sound driver. I'd suggest you look in Control Panel->Program Features. You'll probably find the sound card installed there. Uninstall it from there. The verify it's no longer in device manager. Then reinstall the latest driver from your computer (or vendor's) web site

I will try to uninstall the sound drivers sometime tomorrow, thanks for the info =). Such an annoying coincidence that i try to help a friend get his Mic working, and in turn my breaks. Now everyone makes fun of me for the music i listen to cause that's all they can hear haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back