Microphone not working

Hello, my microphone recently stopped working. It was working fine before but one day the sound device just got reworked or something. I am on the same PC, the model is Acer Aspire M3970. The microphone works fine on other computers, all the drivers (especially the sound drivers) are up to date. My microphone is not muted. I have tried both the front and rear mic jacks and neither are working for me.

I have tried Googling for a solution but after many forums and websites, have not come to a way to fix it. My only solution is to reformat, but I really don't want to do that just for a microphone which seems like it would be an easy fix.

My guess is the problem is not hardware related, any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Not knowing what OS you're using, have you gone into the control panel to check the sound portion? It could of gotten muted in there with out you doing it. Its happened to me once or twice.

Not knowing what OS you're using, have you gone into the control panel to check the sound portion? It could of gotten muted in there with out you doing it. Its happened to me once or twice.
Running the fix it tool is probably the easiest way to do this. Saves you the hassles of going into control panel lol (I am lazy). It detects muted devises, driver issues, etc: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioPlayback/

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions.

According to the Microsoft Fix it, everything is working properly. I'm on windows 7, I have checked the sound portion and it is not muted.

Its very strange because when plugged into the jack, under Sound -> Recording -> FrontMic, when I talk into it I can see the volume bar rising when I talk into it. But again, it is not working properly.

Thanks for the suggestions, can anyone think of any other solutions?

Here is a link to the Dxdiag, hope it helps. http://i48.tinypic.com/15zvw9.png

Try changing default audio device either:
realtek digital output (high definition audio) or
speakers (high definition audio)

Make sure you set External Mic as Default Device.

Start>Control Panel>Search for "Sound"> Recording tab> Right click on External Mic and set it as Default Device.

Back