TechSpot

Microphone woes

By Duckies
Jul 13, 2008
  1. Hello everyone!

I recently bought a Soundking EC010B condenser microphone, and an ART Mic Preamp to go with it, and I've tried to connect it to my PC on and off for a few weeks (I give up, get back to it, give up again, etc.)

Basically, the microphone and the preamp work great when I connect them to my guitar amp - I get crystal clear sound (or as crystal clear as it can get, it's an old buggered amp ^_^). I connect it to my MacBook's line in/mic and record a few vocals in GarageBand, works just fine. But then when I connect it to my PC, regardless of it being line in or the microphone input, I get nothing but quiet static if anything at all. I've checked all the cables and connections, and they are exactly like they should be, but I just don't get any sound. The strange thing is that when I plug in my PC headset's microphone, it records audio just fine.

I'm hopelessly lost here, and I just can't find any logic in this. To sum it up: My new mic works on my MacBook, but not on my PC (line in/mic input - no difference). My headset works on both my MacBook and my PC.

I'm currently using the onboard soundcard on an ASUS P5Q-E (HD Audio thingie), and nothing other than this inability to record through my new mic seems to be wrong.

Yesterday I got the microphone working through the mic input on the front panel of my case, but today it's back to not working. I tried reconnecting everything, still no luck. It still works on my MacBook, and my headset microphone still works on my PC.

Help :(

2. TC Machine

TC Machine TS Rookie Posts: 36

Have you changed the recording on the volume control? The playback comes up and you have to go to Options to look at your recording set-up.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.