Microsoft acknowledges zero day vulnerability in all versions of Internet Explorer

By Shawn Knight
Apr 27, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft on Saturday issued a security advisory for a vulnerability in Internet Explorer that could allow for remote code execution. The Redmond-based company said they are aware of limited, targeted attacks that attempt to exploit a vulnerability in versions 6...

Read more

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

"Until then, it would be wise to avoid using Internet Explorer completely and stick with other popular alternatives such as Chrome, Firefox or Safari."
    If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that over the years
    bea108 likes this.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Yeah, as if the other browsers never have problems. At least you are not being advised "Don't use the Internet because there is a chance you can be infected". Which by the way is a more realistic probability, than being effected by this vulnerability.
    NTAPRO likes this.
  4. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,322   +263

Sad part is that there is a high probability that someone may become infected at my workplace unless people are warned about it, and because of the use of ActiveX controls and browser specific programming, almost the entire company cannot avoid using Internet Explorer without taking a productivity or financial hit.
  5. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Internet explorer is the worst browser out of the lot... I prefer chrome its fast, sleek, tiny UI plus its not like explorer just left for dead for a few good years xD

Internet explorer was awesome back in the day but today I think its terrible...
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Microsoft was awesome back in the day, but today I think they're terrible.
    wastedkill likes this.
  7. bea108

bea108 TS Enthusiast Posts: 30   +9

With the addition of 64 bit browsers, waterfox, cyberfox, and pale moon to name a few (my system is win 7 64 bit) I haven't used ie for years. Feel bad for workstation users though, as they may have no other choices, although I have the choice of ie, chrome or firefox at work, you know I'm not using ie.
  8. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,153   +598

The advisory is here

Workarounds are available, including this:
    a major offender is the VRMLsupport which can be disabled:
    and then click OK.
    To my knowledge, few websites use this stuff anyway.

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

True. No harm intended, I just like to throw punches when something is down for the count lol