TechSpot

Microsoft and Google re-launch YouTube app for Windows Phone

By Justin Kahn
Aug 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A new YouTube app for Windows Phone is now available on Microsoft's mobile marketplace. The company originally launched a YouTube app that it built internally in early May, but it was taken down due to a discrepancy with Google. In short, the...

Read more

2. roxxas2

roxxas2 TS Rookie Posts: 64   +20

Finally Google stopped being a huge jerk.

3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,982   +909

I really lost some respect for Google after this incident... MS went through the effort to make an app and it was great. You could download videos and you had an ad free experience. Google marches in and orders MS to remove the app because of lack of ads and the ability to download videos... If Google made the app, I would care. But the fact that MS put in the effort and Google steamrolled it, is just pathetic.

spectrenad likes this.
  4. Maybe now Google will make more Google apps for Windows Phone and Windows 8.

5. Teko03

Teko03 TS Enthusiast Posts: 121   +27

I still find it odd that Google doesn't feature ads in its on YoutTube App --- but cries when MS doesn't include them.

spectrenad likes this.
  6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

That's like someone using your car all the time, but never filling it up with petrol or giving you a bonus towards your insurance. Freeloading is not feasible in the corporate world.

Oh, and it was clearly in violation of terms of use.

7. St1ckM4n

Android App? I know for sure that my latest version Youtube app pulls ads.

8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,982   +909

Yeah, but if Google wanted to make money off the app, they would make it themselves!

9. Hasbean

Hasbean TS Rookie Posts: 55   +9

I've kept the original Microsoft App and exclude it from updates.

It really pathetic that Google pretends to be for the cunsumer, when all they're trying to push is their advertising revenue, How much cash is enough, already? Greedy Shmucks.

10. St1ckM4n

Ad impressions = money. :p

11. Bubbajim

Bubbajim TS Rookie Posts: 57   +16

That's like saying you hate it when McDonalds sell a burger. They make out like they care about your health and the fat and salt in your meal, when actually they just want to make money! Argh rar rar angry face and whatnot... Whoever heard of a business wanting to make money anyway?

MilwaukeeMike likes this.

12. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,552   +97

Now they just need to relaunch an app that doesn't stop and start every five minutes for their Nexus 4 and I'll be happy. Works better than it used to, as it would stop and not start again but feel the current offering has been patched with a workaround.

13. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 633   +60

14. St1ckM4n

Lol what a farce.

15. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

This is getting ridiculous now.

16. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 537   +12

Mshafts own damn fault.... it's called Terms of Service, and I'm sure Microsoft would be fine if Google raped theirs (twice); just kidding, they're even worse about this type of thing.

Microfail is just butthurt that they make more money off patent trolling Android OEMs than they do off their own crappy ecosystem they're unsuccessfully forcing on everyone.

wastedkill likes this.
  17. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,164   +175

Lolz... seems google is crossing some sort of boundary but still...

18. Just use the metrotube app and be done with it

19. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

"Mshafts and Microfail"? What are you 12?

Also, it seems you don't know what you're talking about. To help you, here's an excerpt from an Ars Technica article I read earlier, for your context comprehension:

spectrenad likes this.
  20. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 537   +12

Yes I joined this site when I was two. What I am is a MS user that's beginning to become very sick of its antics and output of late. Sorry if I struck a key, I would expect to hurt some feelings with my comments on a site like Neowin but not here...

You're right, and though I don't know exactly what I'm talking about, I'm not wrong. Whether they're little technicalities or not, bottom line is that they are in violation of YouTube's ToS. Microsoft is more than capable of making an app that doesn't violate the ToS, it just chooses not to... cry me a river.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  21. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Enthusiast Posts: 194   +24

I don't think we know all forces involved in this decision, but I'm confident Microsoft has pulled some terms of service BS on other companies.
    I wonder if a "small" donation from Microsoft would help resolve this problem.

22. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

'You started it!' lol

23. Wow, I'm an Android user, but this is getting ridiculous. I'm also starting to lose some respect for Google.

spectrenad and domyz like this.
  24. Yeah, how dare Google uphold it's terms of service.

As Microsoft admits it is impossible for them to develop code to make it work.

At least Apple could figure it out.

25. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,003   +1,503

I say screw Google, I don't care for the company anyway! If Google wants their services seen on Windows Phone, they can design the App.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.