TechSpot

Microsoft and NBC to end MSNBC joint venture

By Shawn Knight
Jul 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft and NBC will soon put an end to a joint venture that began in 1996 when the software giant invested $220 to claim a 50 percent stake in MSNBC, according to a report from The Daily Beast. The two…

Read more
  2. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Maniac Posts: 585   +79

what exactly has Microsoft contributed to MSNBC other than the name and plugging the site in its MSN network. I just don't see the logic of the two.
  3. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

It shared Bill Gates liberalism. Now that Billy left to fight against human reproduction, Microsoft probably feels MSNBC slanted pseudo-news opinion entertainment is tarnishing it's reputation.

Imagine if Apple had 50% stake in Fox News. Would that make you want to buy an iPhone?
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,065   +704

Lol, I was gonna make a post that said 'In before this gets political' and I thought... no.. there's nothing really political about it. I was wrong...

Bill Gates left years ago, and according to other news sources the reason is much more simple. NBC just wanted full control of their news site.
  5. TitoBXNY

TitoBXNY TS Enthusiast Posts: 130   +16

I worked at NBC for 25 years, it's been on a downward spiral for years. The result of awful programming decisions and awful leadership, Jeff Zucker....All they have left are the Olympics that is it. Most of my old co-workers are terrified about loosing their jobs.
  6. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Maniac Posts: 585   +79

someone I knew lost his, at NBC news
  7. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TS Enthusiast Posts: 126   +22

Noooo I love msnbc ... now where do I get my news :(
  8. hehehehhehehehehehheh....
    Microsoft.. we came, we saw, we now know how to do the news and how NOT to do the news..

We Will be Back.. and you will be assimilated
  9. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Um, from the fair an balanced (because they say so) talking heads at Fox?

Nah. Guess I'm out of ideas. I've been going to the Sydney Morning Harald site for awhile (one of the few still profitable and editorially independent urban papers around) but it seems the SMH is about to lose editorial independence too. Australia's richest uranium mogul is suing to get her hands on their editorial policy, as if the world needs another Rupert Murdoch. Sigh.

So I'm going to miss MSNBC too, as it sinks back down to the generally dismal news reporting level of the NBC network. At least there are still a lot of independent news aggregator sites on the Internet.
  10. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Huh. Wonder what happened to my comment. And why the image link? Oh well.
  11. National Enquirer

12. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,522   +298

DrudgeReport :p

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.