Microsoft announces record $16.2 billion revenue

Matthew DeCarlo

Microsoft has posted a record high $16.2 billion revenue with a profit of $5.41 billion for its fiscal 2011 first quarter ending September 30. That's an increase of 25% from the same period last year. "This was an exceptional quarter, combining solid enterprise growth and continued strong consumer demand for Office 2010, Windows 7, and Xbox 360 consoles and games," said Microsoft CFO Peter Klein. In fact, the company reported yearly growth across all business segments.

During the summer quarter, Microsoft saw a 15% growth in revenue from Office 2010, which hit stores in June. Meanwhile, the Xbox 360 grew 38%, outselling competing consoles for four consecutive months, and Bing continued to gain ground -- not least because of Redmond's partnership with Yahoo. Microsoft also noted that it witnessed a "healthy and sustaining business PC refresh cycle," with companies steadily adopting Windows 7, Office 2010 and other software products.

Permalink to story.

Windows 7 ftw I guess.

I honestly still dont get the whole Bing deal, I've used it a few times and found google to be much more effective.

I just got office 2007 a few months ago on my personal computer......healthy and sustaining business pc refresh cycle..*cough cough* :p

I did not add to Microsoft's earnings because Tech-Spot alerted me of "The New Efficiency Program" of Microsoft.... So got got my copy of Ultimate W7 for free. Cool beans I know.

lipe123 said:
Windows 7 ftw I guess.

I honestly still dont get the whole Bing deal, I've used it a few times and found google to be much more effective.
I have to agree it just seems to be a little to flashy for my liking, but I can see how people who use the internet search engine as something to do could enjoy the extra feature set that comes along with it.

Why is it 2010 is literally just out on the pc, microsofts platform, yet office 2011 is out already for mac, and looks even better aethetically

elroacho72 said:
I did not add to Microsoft's earnings because Tech-Spot alerted me of "The New Efficiency Program" of Microsoft.... So got got my copy of Ultimate W7 for free. Cool beans I know.
Dito. It was nice to get it before everybody else too, albeit by only about two weeks.

Microsoft has one big hit on there hands windows 7 is amazing and windows 8 is 2 years away all is good from the M$ camp.

peteyhawkins said:
Why is it 2010 is literally just out on the pc, microsofts platform, yet office 2011 is out already for mac, and looks even better aethetically
It's a matter of product cycles. Historically Mac versions of the Microsoft Office software (at least ones with a year as part of their title) have been released a year after the Windows version (or at least named for the year after the original windows release). This has been true since Office 97/98 and if anything, helps separate the two different versions of Office. As for aesthetics, it basically is the same except it is in OSX colors and fonts (and I guess because of the menu bar you have a built in "classic" mode).

The major portion on profit contributed by Window 7. Microsoft is such a big company with lot of products in market. But there major portion of profit is still comes from OS. Windows 7 is huge hit that caused Microsoft to post strong profit this year.

Despite these figures, I think MS needs to succeed in mobile space and constantly reinvent itself according to market trends, to ensure that its long term future is bright.

Another thing which IMO MS needs to look is enormous complexity of existing windows OS, and perhaps start thinking of revamping it in order to make it more efficient, less of a resource hog, and provide best possible experience to users.

Archean said:
Despite these figures, I think MS needs to succeed in mobile space and constantly reinvent itself according to market trends, to ensure that its long term future is bright.

Another thing which IMO MS needs to look is enormous complexity of existing windows OS, and perhaps start thinking of revamping it in order to make it more efficient, less of a resource hog, and provide best possible experience to users.
:O , do they not have Windows 7/office? They're quite ok w/o more stuff.

Back